Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup image - creating a new one and deleting the old

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 captaininternet

captaininternet

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

After making several critical changes to my system over the past few weeks, I'd like to create a new Windows 7 backup image (which is very easy to do.) The question I have is whether the new image replaces the old image or how do I manually delete the old image?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

What program did you use to create said backup image?

As for keeping images...that's up to the user.  I keep all of my images (made with Macrium Reflect) because I have much more storage than I need and I have no real reason for removing any of them.  I doubt if I will ever need any beyond the most recent...and probably won't need that (I don't mind doing clean installs and I retain installer capability for any programs that I may have use for).  But I don't recommend that approach for anyone :).

The main thing that I suggest for backing up...is that the user wants to feel that he/she has access to needed/wanted files...when things go wrong (as they do each day).  If those files are included in the most recent backup performed...there is no reason to keep backups made prior to that date.

Of course...it's wise to ensure that the recorded/stored backup  actually works as it should, before deleting anything.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

If you are using Windows 7 own image program, then you would delete the folder WindowsImageBackup. If you have the space, I would recommend you rename this folder by putting a date suffix on it and making it a subfolder in another folder name imagebackups or something similar. If you ever wanted to go back to that backup you would rename it back to it's original and put it in the root of the backup drive. I am not sure if it is possible if you did a full disk backup but you can mount a Windows 7 image as a virtual drive and browse the contents.  That is why is can be useful to keep your previous backup.

#4 captaininternet

captaininternet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

I am using Windows own b/u program. This seems pretty simple from your explainations, I just happen to be at work so I can't take a look at my home PC. Fortunately storage is not a problem. Three internal and one external hard drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users