Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help: Win Xp Repair install just doesn't get past after file copying stage

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 csravgirl

csravgirl

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

Dear BleepingComputer techies/moderators,

I need your help. I've a complicated problem. My laptop doesn't print the letters c and d, this is fine with me for now.( I'm printing them by copying these 2 letters from a browser, pasting it somewhere and pasting it as necessary ). Unable to afford a new laptop right now.  No, this is not what I'm posting here for. :-)

I had to write this to let you know that I can't type "chkdsk" in recovery console ! ( I know ! ). And, seems like it can't be pasted from somewhere on the recovery console.

So my laptop has crashed.Unable to boot after the windows xp logo.Not able to log onto safe mode even.

After win xp logo screen, it just gives a black screen with a cursor blinking on the top left corner.

So I had a ubuntu live cd made few yrs ago and using it, I'm able to see the hard drive contents, even copied them to an ext hard drive.  memtest ran fine.

I even took it to a hardware store for them to see if there's any hardware problem. They said all the hardware is great. Probably it's a software problem.

So I tried the Repair Install of the existing installation with the win xp CD that came with my laptop.

I set up the boot order to CD drive first, then hard drive.

After I choose the R option to repair existing installation, it copies files, it asks for me to reboot to finish the installation or it does it automatically after few secs, then I get the press any key to boot from cd...I do nothing so it has to proceed to hard drive and continue the installation from there, but no, it just gives the same cursor blinking.

I tried to read the ntbtlog.txt file ( reading another post from your site, thank you guys ) - it says a bunch of drivers fail to load mostly like Intel Processor, Audio codecs, Video Codecs etc. What does this have to do with booting or finishing a repair install ?

boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr files are great.I somehow have a .bak files for every windows/system32/drivers when they were in great working condition.

I don't want to opt for a fresh install before I know there's no way for me to repair the existing installation. Also I'm afraid if the fresh install also does the same thing, then I have a blank hard disk and if in future my ext hard drive has a virus, then I lose all data.

Can you please help me ?

Srav.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

Did you try using an external keyboard?

Louis

#3 csravgirl

csravgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

i thought of it, but right now, i'm unable to step out with a sprain on my ankle. :-( 

so, no & I went on with repair install option for this reason.

#4 csravgirl

csravgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

also, if i buy an external  keyboard now ( if I ask my frens help to buy it for me, I'll be able to affort it ), how will i install it's

drivers without xp booting ?  please help me work this problem. i want this laptop to prepare for my

job search.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

Keyboard drivers are default, contained within Windows, as long as you don't buy one of the fancy keyboards that some love.  You just need a basic, plug and play keyboard to test what's going on.

That's why...when a person takes a system in to a shop for repair, he/she only need take the system, not the keyboard, mouse, or monitor.

You may have to go into the BIOS/Setup and disable the laptop keyboard and save the change...I don't know much about laptops.

Louis

#6 csravgirl

csravgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

Thank you for your reply, Louis. I too am not sure of how an external  laptop keyboart works. The area i'm in, they won't allow for returning an item after buying any item from any shop.( I'm from asia ). So i'm not sure if my money will go waste if it won't work with a non-bootable xp laptop.

Is there any way to know why my repair install just stops after file

copy stage ?  all the bootable files seem okay.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

There are many reasons why a computer may not work properly, IMO.

I start with hardware, then move on the possibility of malware, then move on to damaged or missing files.  I can't tell you why any more than I could tell you the components of your system and what year they were made or if they are damaged :).

Let's start with the manufacturer and model of this laptop...where you obtained the copy of XP that you are trying to install (since many OEM systems do not provide such)...and how long this problem with inability to recognize keyboard characters has existed.

Louis

#8 csravgirl

csravgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

:-) I get you.

I got this xp copy with the laptop that I bought -dell Inspiron 600. It has win xp with sp2 on it.

want to let you know that i upgratet  it to sp3 an year ago. Is this a problem - using an xp sp2 to repair sp3 ?  If so, is there a way to get it  bak to sp2 using ubuntu ?

This keyboart problem is from the past 5-6 months.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

We can fix the SP2 to SP3 thing pretty easily...by adding SP3 to your current install CD and producing a new CD.  That system was introduced in 2005, just before the OEMs began their recovery/restore partition/disk phase.

Is the original hard drive in that system?  The original CMOS battery?  If so, those two components have certainly lived beyond lifetime expectations that I would have.

You can use the following guide:  Slipstreaming XP .

Once the new CD is burned, you can toss your old disk with only SP2 included.

Louis

#10 csravgirl

csravgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:00 AM

Thank you for the reply Louis. I only have the OEM XP CD and the slipstreaming guide says I shouldn't use an OEM CD contents to slipstream. This again seems to be a problem.

The original CMOS battery is still in the system, the hard drive I changed 3 yrs ago.

Also, I think I've IDE not SATA. :-(  Everything seems catch-22.

I remember repair install will pull up the license key on an existing OEM installation , so I won't have to type it.

If I think of a fresh install, the license key on the back of my dell laptop has the letters c and d on them. Do I've to type the license key again or will Dell automatically print it ? If I've to type, then again seems like there's nothing I can do.

I googled about ext keyboards, seems like I've to disable the original one going into msconfig ( it won't recognize from bios )and again for this, I need the laptop to boot first.

Edited by csravgirl, 02 October 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hmmm...I forgot about that...but that warning was meant to pertain to "install CDs" and "recovery/restore disks" which were prepared by the OEM.  Back in those days, a Dell CD with a computer...was the same as a MS install CD.  In fact, many of them were sold by retail vendors as "XP install CDs", which contributed to the course of events where Dell went to restore disks and restore partitions.

Even if that were not so...I would try the nLite slipstream.  Nothing can possibly be lost and I think that may work.

Msconfig has nothing to do with enabling/disabling hardware devices...your BIOS should reflect that option.

It matters not whether you have a SATA or PATA/IDE hard drive...in fact, XP might possibly require more install work if you had a SATA drive, due to age of the system.

I don't know anything about your license key and where it is, but the sequence should be 25 alphanumeric characters, e.g., A1B2C-3D4E5-F6G7H-8I9J1-K2L3M-4N5O6P.

As for repair installs not requiring typing of the key...I don't remember it that way for the repair installs I've done.  Could be just my memory or confusion between doing clean installs and repair installs, hard to say :).

Re the CMOS battery...I've never had one in any system for that long a period and I think the projected life for such is a max of 5 years.

Worth a read, IMO:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19341876

Louis

#12 csravgirl

csravgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

Thank you so mukh Louis, for being so patient & helpful. I apprekiate it a lot. :-)

so i  got this re-installation

cd that got ship with my laptop ( saying OS already in system ). so you're saying thats not a problem, right ?

to make this slipstream cd, I must be in a platform like win or linux, right now I'm talking to you from ubuntu

live cd , how will I burn a

cd while I alreaty got one in the system ( ubuntu ).

I got the license key printet on my laptop itself if i flip it, i see it. yes it's 25 letters , 3 of them are unfortunately the letters c & d where the former letter is printet 2 times.   i wont be able to type them or paste them like now.

It may be my memory is not too proper, its ages ago so far that i went for a repair install &  i somehow remember getting the key automatikally printet for a repair install. :-)

I saw the link you mentionet. i wasn't aware of this retailers selling it seperately.  Interesting.

my bios is not showing anything for ext keyboart to enable it. kan you please tell me how to get to this option, ( I googlet but I saw that we got to enable it after logging onto xp, not before ).

I learnt a lot of things from you for whikh I'll always be thankful. parton my typing, it's not bat english as mukh as bat keypoart . :-) 

my laptop is being a little noisy, so may be it's the cmos getting olt ??? is this the probable reason ?

Edited by csravgirl, 02 October 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

I don't do linux so I cannot honestly answer any but the most general questions about it (e.g., "what is linux?")...but other members here know much about it and can answer questions about it.

We could speculate until we die...about why a system relieased in 2005 or so...might malfunction today.  That won't get us anywhere so let's stay away from wild speculations :).

Louis

#14 csravgirl

csravgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:02 AM

sorry Louis, I realize i'm not klear. My question is not how to operate or burn a

cd in linux.

What i want to say  is  - I got only one cd driwe in my laptop.

the only way I kan log onto internet or get a platform for burning a slipstream

cd is through putting  a linux liwe cd  in my one & only cd driwe.

You got your wintows working , so you will put a blank  cd in the empty

cd driwe & burn it.

But my  win as you know isn't booting, so my  cd driwe alreaty got a linux liwe  cd ( so i may get a platform for stuff ).

so i won't be able to write one as I only got one.cd driwe.

The bios won't show any ext keyboart option for me, so I'm just kurious if I"m missing it or it's hidden as some other option that  I'm not seeing. If I get to it, all my probs will get a rest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users