Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need tool to test cpu of laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DOPEY13

DOPEY13

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

I have a sony vaio vgn nr11z/s bought 2007.

Vista 32 bit

Intel core 2 duo T7250@2GHZ

2GB RAM

It is very slow to boot, toopen a program and slow generally. Get lots of not responding especially on windows mail

What would be a good tool to test the processor.? I am thinking maybe the cpu is failing

I did scannow and it found and repaired a couple corrupt files but made no difference.

I may try a reinstall of windows and instead of using restore disks i may use windows 8 if it would run on this laptop.Anyone know?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

dear DOPEY13

try these tow 

http://processchecker.com/file/hw32_426.exe.html

http://www.aida64.com/downloads

#3 DOPEY13

DOPEY13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

thanks. all my scores are zero on aida64?

#4 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:46 AM

good afternoon dear DOPEY13

you mention that your laptop can be booted but is so slow

you may have an infected laptop, try to post under

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

strange that aida does not detect your cpu

#5 DOPEY13

DOPEY13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

good afternoon dear DOPEY13

you mention that your laptop can be booted but is so slow

you may have an infected laptop, try to post under

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

strange that aida does not detect your cpu

No, no virus or infection

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

A cpu problem generally will cause BSOD crashes or other random crahses, no posts, etc. I have never seen a cpu cause a slow computer with no other symptoms

A few notes, windows Vista with 2gb of ram will be slow, adding an anti-virus will make it slower, more ram (at least 4gb) would help a ton. Virus's and malware can also cause a slow computer, a fresh install (reload of windows) would fix those issues.

It is also possible your hard drive is failing. Most of the sony computers I have seen do not allow you to change the sata operation so the test I post below may or may not work.

Please try to run MHDD by following these instructions:

Before running this test it would be a good idea to backup any data that you cannot afford to lose. This test uses the hard drive at 100%. If the drive is failing or has problems it is possible for the drive to fail suddenly especially during heavy use as this test will do. It is unlikely but still I recommend backing files up to be safe. Here are the instructions to run the test:

The first step will be to burn MHDD to a disc as an image (cd preferably). MHDD Can be found here: http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/  Click the Last version of MHDD, CDROM iso-image download and burn this file directly to a disc.

TO CHANGE SATA OPERATION: (You may need to use your keyboard arrow keys and enter key if you can not click to change settings).

After burning the disc, restart the laptop and start tapping ESC, f2 or f1 or delete right away to get into the bios. There you should see System Configuration, expand that by clicking the + button (or using your arrow keys and enter key). In that list there should be something called Sata operation. (Sata Operation may also be by itself in that first screen list)

Click on sata operation and take note of the current setting to the right it will probably be set to AHCI it will need to be switched back to this after MHDD is done running. Select ATA, compatibility or ide mode and then click apply. Save and exit the bios, or if apply was the only option you can use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

COMMON BOOT MENU/BIOS keys: https://support.fixmestick.com/hc/en-us/articles/201577043-How-to-get-to-your-Boot-Menu-or-your-BIOS-settings

Now with the burned disc in the drive after a restart, start tapping (F12 Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo), (F9 HP), or (Esc HP, Samsung, Sony) on the keyboard (or change your boot options to boot to cd/dvd first). This will bring up the boot options menu. Select cd/dvd/cd-rw drive and hit enter.

If this worked correctly and booted to mhdd you should see a screen that says Microsoft windows 98 startup menu. You can let the timer run out or just hit enter on option (2 . Start computer without SCSI support).

Now you should see a screen with numbers, most of these will not have any device listed behind them but one number should for example on my dell computer number 6 has WDC WD1600BEVT-75A23T0… and at the end a number in white which is the size of the drive.

Example: If your drive is a 500gb I would expect that number in white to be somewhere around 500,107,862,016 or close to. Find the correct drive to test then on the keyboard type the number in front of the drive (in my case it was 6) and then hit enter.

Now you should have a screen with MHDD> and a blinking cursor.

Now hit F4 on the keyboard 2 times and this will start scanning the hard drive.

You should be able to see the computer start scanning, each block represents 255 sectors (130560 bytes) on the hard drive. What we are looking for will show up on the right side of the screen.

There is a list on the right which shows numbers:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Etc…

Anything below the <150ms is a slow sector or a problem sector. Slow sectors <500 or >500 will slow down the computer. If there are a lot of these one after another (several 1000 or more) the drive should probably be replaced. Also if you have any at the end that were marked as UNC this means the drive has uncorrectable errors and the hard drive should probably be replaced.

Basically if you have any sectors that are below <150 (green) let me know and if possible the total number of them.

If all of the sectors were ok and fell within the range of:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Then the hard drive is ok, if there are only a few that are slow <500 or >500 the hard drive should be ok to use.

NOTE: that if there are many slow sectors one after another or you start having error after error the drive is in bad shape and I recommend ending the test. To end the test hit the Esc key.

After you are done testing you will need to go back into the bios by restarting the computer and tapping F2, F1, Delete (or whatever key gets you into bios). Go back to Sata Operation and change it back to the default which probably was AHCI.

Then restart and the computer should boot again.

(If you are getting a blue screen and the computer restarts go back into the bios and confirm that Sata Operation is set to what it was before changing it to IDE, ATA, or compatibility).

Edited by zingo156, 02 October 2014 - 03:43 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:42 PM

BEFORE YOU DO A RELOAD (fresh install of windows) make sure you backup all of your data. Since you mentioned you use windows mail, make sure you backup your appdata folder as well.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 DOPEY13

DOPEY13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

A cpu problem generally will cause BSOD crashes or other random crahses, no posts, etc. I have never seen a cpu cause a slow computer with no other symptoms

A few notes, windows Vista with 2gb of ram will be slow, adding an anti-virus will make it slower, more ram (at least 4gb) would help a ton. Virus's and malware can also cause a slow computer, a fresh install (reload of windows) would fix those issues.

It is also possible your hard drive is failing. Most of the sony computers I have seen do not allow you to change the sata operation so the test I post below may or may not work.

Please try to run MHDD by following these instructions:

Before running this test it would be a good idea to backup any data that you cannot afford to lose. This test uses the hard drive at 100%. If the drive is failing or has problems it is possible for the drive to fail suddenly especially during heavy use as this test will do. It is unlikely but still I recommend backing files up to be safe. Here are the instructions to run the test:

The first step will be to burn MHDD to a disc as an image (cd preferably). MHDD Can be found here: http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/  Click the Last version of MHDD, CDROM iso-image download and burn this file directly to a disc.

TO CHANGE SATA OPERATION: (You may need to use your keyboard arrow keys and enter key if you can not click to change settings).

After burning the disc, restart the laptop and start tapping ESC, f2 or f1 or delete right away to get into the bios. There you should see System Configuration, expand that by clicking the + button (or using your arrow keys and enter key). In that list there should be something called Sata operation. (Sata Operation may also be by itself in that first screen list)

Click on sata operation and take note of the current setting to the right it will probably be set to AHCI it will need to be switched back to this after MHDD is done running. Select ATA, compatibility or ide mode and then click apply. Save and exit the bios, or if apply was the only option you can use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

COMMON BOOT MENU/BIOS keys: https://support.fixmestick.com/hc/en-us/articles/201577043-How-to-get-to-your-Boot-Menu-or-your-BIOS-settings

Now with the burned disc in the drive after a restart, start tapping (F12 Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo), (F9 HP), or (Esc HP, Samsung, Sony) on the keyboard (or change your boot options to boot to cd/dvd first). This will bring up the boot options menu. Select cd/dvd/cd-rw drive and hit enter.

If this worked correctly and booted to mhdd you should see a screen that says Microsoft windows 98 startup menu. You can let the timer run out or just hit enter on option (2 . Start computer without SCSI support).

Now you should see a screen with numbers, most of these will not have any device listed behind them but one number should for example on my dell computer number 6 has WDC WD1600BEVT-75A23T0… and at the end a number in white which is the size of the drive.

Example: If your drive is a 500gb I would expect that number in white to be somewhere around 500,107,862,016 or close to. Find the correct drive to test then on the keyboard type the number in front of the drive (in my case it was 6) and then hit enter.

Now you should have a screen with MHDD> and a blinking cursor.

Now hit F4 on the keyboard 2 times and this will start scanning the hard drive.

You should be able to see the computer start scanning, each block represents 255 sectors (130560 bytes) on the hard drive. What we are looking for will show up on the right side of the screen.

There is a list on the right which shows numbers:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Etc…

Anything below the <150ms is a slow sector or a problem sector. Slow sectors <500 or >500 will slow down the computer. If there are a lot of these one after another (several 1000 or more) the drive should probably be replaced. Also if you have any at the end that were marked as UNC this means the drive has uncorrectable errors and the hard drive should probably be replaced.

Basically if you have any sectors that are below <150 (green) let me know and if possible the total number of them.

If all of the sectors were ok and fell within the range of:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Then the hard drive is ok, if there are only a few that are slow <500 or >500 the hard drive should be ok to use.

NOTE: that if there are many slow sectors one after another or you start having error after error the drive is in bad shape and I recommend ending the test. To end the test hit the Esc key.

After you are done testing you will need to go back into the bios by restarting the computer and tapping F2, F1, Delete (or whatever key gets you into bios). Go back to Sata Operation and change it back to the default which probably was AHCI.

Then restart and the computer should boot again.

(If you are getting a blue screen and the computer restarts go back into the bios and confirm that Sata Operation is set to what it was before changing it to IDE, ATA, or compatibility).

OK will do that tomorrow. There is no malware/virus on my laptop. It was fine for a long time with 2 GB ram anti virus etc.

It is slow and a lot of non responding. Maybe just a reinstall would do it.Lots of stuff installed/uninstalled last 7 years leaves reg entries sometimes

Drive could be failing. I tried this

Thanks for the feedback

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:00 PM

Please also download and run speccy, this may report problems with the hard drive:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users