Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't want to waste my money!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alanem

alanem

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

Hi money is really tight and I’m trying to make it go as far as possible on a 'one up from basic' labtop.

I’ve found these two but I don’t know if they are both a bit of a gimmick and best left alone.  Advice please.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/M838QUK-Lenovo-G585_1357291.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/PSCGXE-001002EN-Toshiba-Satellite-Pro-C50_1591772.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

I don't know what "one up from basic" means in your world...but the question I have is what are you going to use this laptop for?

Why do you feel that you need a laptop now...compared to when you did not need/want one?

Louis

#3 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hi again Luis

Thanks for your interest.  My usage isn’t hectic.,.no hard gaming or streaming just silver surfing, skype, gmail and all my personal stuff, forums, banking etc.  I also do some bookkeeping which isn’t much of a workload.

I’ve had my XP desktop since 2002.  The HDD is 76GB and it’s painfully slow.

Also more important winter is coming and I’d rather be sitting in the warm with a lap top than upstairs in front of my PC with a heater.

What do you think about my picks?   Are they gimmicks?   Isn’t the RAM unusual for this level of processor?

Alan  

#4 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

Like I posted in another thread, suggest trying refurbished.

Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100017489%204016&IsNodeId=1&Tpk=refurbished%20laptop

or here: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/refurbished-laptops

hope it helps.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

Well...I don't befieve in buying something old which others don't want...that's what refurb systems are, since most (if not all) are coming off leases to businesses and are probably just too old for current times.

Since you seem to have realistic expectations about what a laptop is...I would adviise you to do as I did...just buy the cheapest relatively laptop which affords the portability and confidence that you deserve.  I'm anti-netbook, but a netbook may be what you need.

I don't know what available in your part of the world...but laptops are pretty cheap here for users like me who don't fantasize over the importance of "brand name" and such.

I suggest that you take a look at THIS PAGE to get an idea of what is available...then go out to local shops and try to find something comparable in price.

Although I own a laptop, I don't believe in comparing one model with another.  For me, it's simply a matter of what I want to pay versus what the seller wants.  I believe that, for what I use it for...the "quality" will be the same and I would be satisfied with whatever I choose.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users