Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unidentified network, intermittent problems.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 notamondayfan

notamondayfan

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

Hello all,

I'm looking for some help before the PC ends up going out of the window!

I have been using the PC / network set-up quite happily for a few years now, no problem, until yesterday when my LAN turned from working to "Unidentified network", and since has been OK / errors without any reason.

My set-up is 2 PCs (windows 7 pro), connected to 1 switch, which is connected to a ring-main adaptor, which is connected to the broadband router.

I have done all the usual sets of powering everything down, and back on again, which doesn't make a difference.

I have tried a different switch, again no difference.

I have tried removing the switch and connecting the PCs together directly, no difference.

I then looked at the ipcong stuff.

When I do....

ipconfig /release I get "an error occurred while releasing interface loopback Pseudo-interface 1: system cannot find the specified file"

ipconfig /renew the cmd just stalls and doesn't appear to do anything.

ipconfig / flushdns which appears to work, but makes no difference.

netsh int ip reset reset.log appears to work, but makes no difference.

netsh winsock reset appears to work, but makes no difference.

At the moment IPv4 is automatic, but have also tried manually typing in IP address, but no difference.

I have also uninstalled Hamachi, but makes no difference.

I'm currently connected to the internet via teathering with my mobile, so I know Windows / software is working.

Does anyone have any suggestions what might be the issue, and how to solve it? I've searched the net for hours and tried everything I've found, with no luck. As I say the problem comes and goes, but with no pattern. It's not like it even happens after a restart.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Dean

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

"which is connected to a ring-main adaptor"

What is a ring-main adaptor?

Have you tried plugging in directly to the router?  You should.  This way you bypass all possible failure points.

Presently you do not have a physical connection to the router as you are not getting a ip address except for a auto assigned one.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 01 October 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#3 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

I could try that, but I would need to purchase a 20m cable.

By ring main adaptor I mean one of these where the signal is sent though the power cables

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=pd_sim_computers_14?ie=UTF8&refRID=08Z32E1JN3G48YGS3Y4M

I have tried various switches, and also connected directly to another PC, with the same issue.

Thanks,

Dean

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:41 PM

I'm assuming they are paired and working correctly as far as that goes? I don't know if unplugging them would tear down the pairing but look into it and perhaps you need to do that all again.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:21 PM

You are getting an APIPA 169.254.x.x address, which indicates your NIC isn't communicating with the router.

Trying pinging the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 just to make sure the TCP/IP stack is working. Check to make sure the DCHP client service is running on the computer, and check to make sure it's set to automatic. You can check this by typing services.msc in the Start search bar, or by right-clicking Computer in the Start menu, select Manage, then in Computer Management select Services and Applications, then Services.

Also check to make sure DHCP is enabled on the router. You may also want to check the drivers for your computer's network interface card, check Device Manager to make sure the NIC is enabled and there aren't any yellow warning icons, check the NIC light to make sure the hardware is working, and swap out the Ethernet cables or test them to make sure they are good.

#6 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:37 AM

Have you tried plugging in directly to the router?  You should.  This way you bypass all possible failure points.

Presently you do not have a physical connection to the router as you are not getting a ip address except for a auto assigned one.

Hi Wand3r3r, I have just done this now, and it appears to be fine, please see attached the new ipconfig. As I say this though, it is an intermittent problem, so maybe this has fixed it, or maybe it hasn't!

I'm assuming they are paired and working correctly as far as that goes? I don't know if unplugging them would tear down the pairing but look into it and perhaps you need to do that all again.

Hi CaveDweller2, I've never had any problems with them, having moved office, unplugged them several times, and they do appear to work intermittently. I'm think the issue might lie with these, perhaps there could be interference using this method, causing issues, or maybe a conflict somewhere.

You are getting an APIPA 169.254.x.x address, which indicates your NIC isn't communicating with the router.

Trying pinging the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 just to make sure the TCP/IP stack is working. Check to make sure the DCHP client service is running on the computer, and check to make sure it's set to automatic. You can check this by typing services.msc in the Start search bar, or by right-clicking Computer in the Start menu, select Manage, then in Computer Management select Services and Applications, then Services.

Also check to make sure DHCP is enabled on the router. You may also want to check the drivers for your computer's network interface card, check Device Manager to make sure the NIC is enabled and there aren't any yellow warning icons, check the NIC light to make sure the hardware is working, and swap out the Ethernet cables or test them to make sure they are good.

Hi sflatechguy, please see the new ipconfig, does this look better?

The DHCP is enabled and automatic, and no problems with the Device Manager.

I've also tried several cables, so 99% sure it's not that.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will have to wait and see if the problem is solved or not, but at the moment it seams that getting rid of the power-line adaptor and swapping it for a long cable could be an easy solution.

Cheers,

Dean

Attached Files

Edited by notamondayfan, 02 October 2014 - 02:51 AM.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

Yep. The ring main adapter failed -- sort of the equivalent of the Ethernet cable going bad.

It's either misconfigured or it no longer works. Given the fact that it failed suddenly, my guess is it's the latter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users