I am having a very strange probelm with my modem/router setup. I'm using a Thomson DCM476 modem and a Netgear N600 router.
When the modem is directly connected to a PC, download speeds are as expected. When the modem is connected to the router, download speeds are intermitent. Sometime it's fine but sometimes it's extremely slow. This is even for PCs that are hardwired to the router.
What I've Tried:
- I've been through 2 other routers because I thought something was wrong with them. This Netgear is the third router.
- I've tried changing to a static DNS server with the same address that my ISP uses. This seemed to work for a while but then it didn't.
- I've cloned the MAC address. Nothing changed.
- I've changed the MTU size. Nothing
- Finally I called my ISP and had them send over a new modem. This worked for a week then it went right back to slowing down again.
What I Haven't Explored
- At one point there was a secod line coming into the house by a different ISP. These problems started when we closed that account and they removed the line.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks so much,