Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS issue? HELP!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 danpowell

danpowell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

WIn7 (Win7 home) box unable to browse or ping by name. Also cannot browse by IP. Returns error "Ping could not resolve host..."

* I have flushed the dnscache.

* reset log file

* CANNOT do NSLOOKUP either

* Checked host and lmhost file, nothing wrong there.

* I cannot seem to recreate the problem on another computer.

* I should mention that the box in question had a considerable amount of maleware that has since been remove. I can't help but wonder if the maleware changed some registry values.

* HELP!!!

I have tried everything I can think of and the problem remains. I am about to format and reinstall but thought I would post this here first. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

Hello, and Welcome

Being malware realated, it may have corrupted Winsock and TCP/IP

Type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as administrator Type the following at the prompt then reboot. When you said you reset log file, were you taking about TCP/IP reset?

netsh winsock reset  <enter>

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt  <enter>

#3 danpowell

danpowell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the reply John. Yea, I have done both of those commands to no avail. I rebuilt the TCP/IP stack as well. This is a neighbors computer (word got out that I'm "Mr. Fix it") and it is driving me nuts. I'm having them bring the laptop here to my house today so that I can compare config with another win7 box.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

Did you do the malware removal?

If so, do you have access the logs to post here?

What programs were used to clean this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:46 AM

You could use the sfc /scannow to find any missing or corrupt system files but it may ask for a install disk.

#6 danpowell

danpowell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:48 AM

Forgot to mention that they connect via wifi. To eliminate the wifi connection/config, I hard wired it - no help. 

All other computers work fine.

#7 danpowell

danpowell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:51 AM

Dang John, I tried that too...it seems that the maleware corrupted the system file checker AND it was nice enough to turn off system restore as well lol

#8 danpowell

danpowell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

DC3, I used ccleaner, malewarebytes, hijack this, etc. Thanks for the reply

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

You can create a Windows 7 System Repair Disk on another computer. Boot that and then do an offline sfc /scannow. If it asks for a install disk and you do not have one, you can download your version here, burn the iso and boot the install disk. Go to repair options, select command prompt and do the offline scannow. Hopefully the computer has SP1 installed on it because the iso's I linked to are SP1.

#10 danpowell

danpowell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

Excellent idea John, I will try that. in the mean time, does anyone know why i would be getting an "access denied" message when trying to do a "netsh winsock reset"? I am running command prompt as admin

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

The malware probably messed with permissions. Open a command prompt > Right click Run as Administrator. type the following

net user administrator /active:yes

This will enable the hidden administrator account unless the malware did something to prevent it. Log out and you should see the Administrator account which is like superuser. Login to it and do the winsock reset.

If this does not work becaue of access denied look at the following program. Windows all in one repair. Specifically these three options.

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Register System Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 October 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#12 danpowell

danpowell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

Brilliant John! I did not know that was an option. Unfortunately, it STILL gives me an "access denied" message when trying to reset winsock! Unbelievable. I do not have any blank DVD's to burn a copy of WIN7 and there is no recovery partition so I am not sure how to proceed. I appear to be stuck and extremely frustrated.

Thanks for all your help John sincerely. Any other ideas are more than welcome lol

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

See my edited post on Windows all in one repair. See if repairing those three options will set permissions right. Run it in the Administrator account you enabled. You may have to right click and say Run as Adminsitrator even in the Administrator account. It may take awhile.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:25 PM

Try loading the ISO to a flash drive.  Your BIOS will need to have the USB device boot option.

http://www.isotousb.com/

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

Well...I'd think that the wise thing to do...would be to move this post to Am I Infected forum, for a deeper look re your malware.  To assume that situation has been overcome...seems to presuppose some things that I would not advocate.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users