Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Powerconnect 2848 - Fiber

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:57 AM

I am currently at a customer doing research for 2 of their Dell Powerconnect's 2848 and he wants to connect them via Fiber. Now talking to my senior guys they are telling me this is beneficial if the switches are stackable which to my understanding this model does not support.

So in short I am doing my homework on what I need to connect them via fiber but honestly I don't see any benefit to this other than customer wants it. If he wants this route I am leaning towards replacing the two with managed switches that are stackable. 

Any input/help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get solid answers by 1230pm EST time today.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

The switches are managed btw.  Might want to query the customer as to why they want them connected.  They should be connected to a main switch.

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

They are the main switches. I finally got a solid detailed answer from Dell but man it was difficult to obtain. In the end there is no good reason to use fiber on the existing models; such things would be beneficial on switches that are stackable or/and significant distances from each other. Short of that it's a waste of money. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

Great.  But the customer must have something they are trying to address which lead to the query.  Unless they are just getting bad advice from someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users