Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow pc after installing Avira Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DaGhost

DaGhost

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

I just installed avira antivirus a couple of days ago because my Mcafe trail had expired. But now my PC is running slow. I noticed it had become slow but it wasn't until today that I tried to play League of Legends that it was so bad. Really really low fps. It is not just the game, I mean even when I start the PC it takes longer than usual. Chrome opens with delay; when I try to right click on desktop and refresh, I see the small circle for 1-2 seconds before the options tab opens. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:54 AM

could be a conflict with some leftovers of McAfee. Suggest running the uninstaller in the link below.

McAfee Removal Tool - McAfee Uninstaller

Still slow after removing McAfee....uninstall Avira.....test to see if that speeds things up.

How to Remove/Uninstall Avira Free Antivirus Software: 7 Steps

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 DaGhost

DaGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:02 AM

Hi, I just made e system restore to a week ago. McAfee is back but the PC is still slow.

#4 DaGhost

DaGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:03 AM

Lets say it is even slower.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

Doing a system restore after installing a program such as Avira without first uninstalling Avira can cause more problems.

You should go ahead with using the McAfee uninstaller.

You can use Revo Uninstaller to hopefully remove any remnants of Avira and McAfee.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

You can also undo a System Restore.

That may be the better option before attempting to run the uninstallers.

How to Undo a System Restore in Windows - For Dummies

#7 DaGhost

DaGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:41 AM

I had already used this one.

could be a conflict with some leftovers of McAfee. Suggest running the uninstaller in the link below.

McAfee Removal Tool - McAfee Uninstaller

Also downloaded Revo but it didn't find neither McAfee nor Avira.

#8 DaGhost

DaGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

Should I still undo the System Restore?

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:38 AM

Has what you have done helped any? Are programs, etc. loading faster?

Do a file search for Avira....what did it find?

#10 DaGhost

DaGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

I think it keeps getting worse.

Search for Avira showed 613 files, 100 folders; Multiple types in various folders, all 365 MB on size.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

Worth trying....reinstall Avira and then use their uninstaller to remove.

#12 DaGhost

DaGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

Ok I am doing that. Why do they make it so complicated...

:smash:

#13 DaGhost

DaGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

I installed Avira again, restarted the PC and it looks like everything works just fine. I will still monitor the PC performance these days and post again.

Thank you for the help.  :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users