Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sfs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frankie

frankie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:16 AM

I have two desktop computers in my house.
Both OS are Windows XP Pro.
They are connected to the INTERNET with a router.
Both computers are running and connecting to the INTERNET just fine with no problems.

I would like some help on setting up the 2 desktops to share files and folders.
A step by step tutorial wood be great.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
Frankie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:38 PM

Microsoft Knowledge Base article on: How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

Be (File Sharing Level) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

Edit: For spelling

Edited by Animal, 10 June 2006 - 06:52 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 frankie

frankie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:58 PM

Sorry if I'm such a dunce at this network stuff.

I read the Microsoft article plus a few others and it still is all confusing for me.

??What must I change on the main computer that my router is connected to?
??What must I change on the computer at the other location in the house?

Regards,
Frankie

#4 frankie

frankie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

If anyone could give me some "how to for dummies"input to these two questions I surly would appreciate it.

My computers are working fine with the Internet,I would like to setup sharing file and folders with each etc.

??What must I check or change on the main computer that my router is connected to?
??What must I check or change on the computer at the other location in the house?

Regards,
Frankie

#5 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:54 PM

Open any folder and click Tools > Folder Options > View tab.

Scroll to the bottom and make sure Use simple file sharing is selected.

Go to folders/drives you want to share, eg My Computer > C:

Right-click on it and select Sharing and security and click the message about wanting to share.

Put a tick next to Share this folder on the network and it's up to you if you want to allow other users to change files.

Next, go to My Netwrok Places (via the Start menu, or My Computer) and run the Set up home or small office network wizard.

Use the default workgroup (MSHome) for both.

Turn on file and printer sharing but don't create a network disk.

Reboot.

Now do the same on the other computer.

To find the shared folder, go to My Network Places > Add a Netwrok Places and browse via Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Netwrok > MSHome, clicking the + each time to expand the view.

Once you get to the shared folder, add that. It will now always show in My Network Places as a shortcut.

To share the printer, add sharing by right-clicking on the printer on the 'host' PC.

Go to the other PC and follow the prompts to Add Printer (in Printers and Faxes). Look for a network printer via the same workgroup as above.

Any problems and it is likely to be your firewall.

#6 frankie

frankie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

Thanks RichieP,I followed your directions and everything is working fine.

Regards.
Frankie

#7 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

You're welcome.

Glad it worked. :thumbsup:

#8 frankie

frankie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:14 PM

Oops!

Maybe I spoke two fast.
When I go to My Network Places on the computer that is connected to my router and modem(I call it my main desk top) the only thing in there is My Web Sites On MSN that contains two folders. Also in the right side column where it says network task if I click on view workgroup computers it shows the 2 shared computers.

When I go to My Network Places on the other desktop computer the two shared computers are shown.

Is this the normal and OK!
What do you think?

Regards,
Frankie

Edited by frankie, 14 June 2006 - 03:41 PM.

#9 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:08 AM

If you have shared folders or drives, they should sho in there. Go through the Add a Network Place wizard. The folders you are trying to add must be shared from the other computer you are accessing first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users