Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yeeha

yeeha

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:12 AM

Hi all, This is what I have going on, my sister-in-law went out and bought a video Ipod. I got everything up and running after she had to go buy more Ram & Windows XP (she has a thing about not reading or understanding system requirements). After a week she informs me she needs more "memory". Well that's not what she needs she only has a 10g hd and she has it full already. My main Q is...Whats the difference between sata 1.5 and sata 3? And do I have to use the same sata to piggyback another hd to her current one? I dont know what sata she has at the moment. I would venture to guess it'd be a sata 1.5 as I assume that's the older model. I'm not even sure of how big a hd I'm going to put in there she has a buttload of cd's she wants to put on her Ipod. I have a feeling whatever I do put in there she'll have it full in no time. When you put music on an Ipod does it have to stay on your computer to stay on the Ipod? That may be a solution to it all if it doesn't have to stay on there I can get her a a decent size hd for $80 and not worry about it. Heck I dont know, I just want to get her Ipod running again so she leaves me alone. Thanks all in advance.

YEE

Edited by yeeha, 10 June 2006 - 09:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yeeha

yeeha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:38 PM

It seems no one is interested in answering this question, but I already know that her computer has an IDE HD, so I need to get a IDE HD :thumbsup: . Could anyone possibly tell me how I can find out how big a HD I can put in there? I know some of you are reading this post so hopefully someone will answer.

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

The biggest HD you can put in it is as big as they come. You shouldn't have a problem with atleast an 80GB HD. If you want something bigger, you could go as big as 500GB! And, yes, IDE allows you to daisy chain up to 2 devices on the same channel. SATA does not. If you had a SCSI channel, you could daisy chain up to 7 devices on one channel. You could try ZipZoomFly for a 250GB HD for around $80-$90, if you don't want that big, you can always get a smaller one.

EDIT: Hey! I figured out how to add a URL without using the URL button!

Edited by legoman786, 16 June 2006 - 06:22 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:01 AM

And to awnser your second question when you put the files on your ipod they are saved on the ipods hardrive so you don't need to keep them on the computer after you have transfered them, and you said that she has most of them on cds so you don't have to worry about a backup....

#5 yeeha

yeeha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:28 PM

Klinkaroo, I dont have an Ipod but she does & my daughter does and they both say that if you delete a song off your computer when you charge you Ipod or sync to add new songs it will take the deleted songs off the Ipod. Is there a setting somewhere that they dont know about that will prevent that from happening? Thanks in advance.

#6 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:39 PM

If you use ITUNES it gets deleted. As far as I know atleast. If you use Winamp you won't have that issue.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

Actually you can have a 750Gb Seagate hard drive. Fill a EIDE chain with that and you have 1.5Tb.
New letter. M=Mega, G=Giga, T=Tera. What has it been? 15+ years since we went from Mb to Gb.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

There's settings to stop iTunes deleting the songs you remove from your computer from your iPod.

While in iTunes, goto the Preferences (under Edit > Preferences...) In there, goto the iPod tab. In the Music tab under the iPod tab select the option that says Manually manage songs and playlists. Now, when you want to add songs to your iPod, you will need to highlight them in the library and drag them onto the picture of your iPod on the left. To remove songs from your iPod, just select the songs on your iPod to remove, right-click on them and select Clear.

Edited by .Prodigy., 12 July 2006 - 10:53 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:57 PM

Learned something...

It seems that computer is pretty old. Wich means there is a chance that the BIOS is going to have a hard time with anything over 130Gigs... You might need to update the BIOS.

#10 yeeha

yeeha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

Thank you all so much. We got her a 80gig and it's all good. I'll pass along the tip for the Ipod to her & will let my daughter know also.

#11 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

define:SATA: Often abbreviated SATA or S-ATA, an evolution of the Parallel ATA physical storage interface. Serial ATA is :thumbsup: :flowers: a serial link -- a single cable with a minimum of four wires creates a point-to-point connection between devices. Transfer rates for Serial ATA begin at 150 MBps and SATA II 300MBps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users