Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to restrict CUT/MOVE command on files?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aberrant

Aberrant

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:36 AM

I have an external hard drive which contains several folders that is well organized per category of files ( I do this a lot). Sometimes, people who use/borrow my external hdd alter some of the files, like they accidentally drag and drop files to other folders or mistakenly cut and paste my files onto their USB's. Incidents like these messed up everything and I always have a hard time looking for that particular file(s) inside my external hdd.

Is there any workaround in restricting or setting up my files so that it can't be changed/altered by anyone? Or, is there any third-party application that does this job well?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

no not that I am aware of for a external hard disk but you can get pen drives with write protect on them that disallows this type of activity but said that a user can just as easily switch that function off as it is turned on. I would either not lend it to anyone or only give it to those you trust are not going to do so best way is not to lend it out. 

#3 Aberrant

Aberrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

but you can get pen drives with write protect on them that disallows this type of activity

Can you tell me how?

#4 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:40 AM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kanguru-Solutions-Flash-Write-Protect-KF3WP-32G/dp/B008OGNMEI/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1412411936&sr=1-4&keywords=write+protect+usb

yes but not cheap

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:11 AM

Sometimes, people who use/borrow my external hdd alter some of the files...

Lending out your external HDD is a big NO, NO.  How do you know these people's computers aren't infected?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users