Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated Windows 8 to Windows 8.1-drivers question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rickb2385

rickb2385

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:55 AM

I have just done a clean installation of Windows 8 and then the update to Windows 8.1 from Windows Store.
After Windows 8 clean install..I went to the Dell site and I installed chipsets, and wireless network and nothing else...sound was working as well so I didnt install any Audio drivers. There were no other errors reported in Device Manager that needed sorting out. So those were the only drivers I installed. Then I did all the Windows Updates.
Following that I went to the Windows Store and installed Windows 8.1. Ive just checked in Device Manager and there aren't any errors at all so Im wondering if theres no need to Install any Windows 8.1 drivers apart from obviously I'll update Nvidia Graphics as usual. Am I right in thinking if there are no errors in Device Manager theres no need to update to the Windows 8.1 drivers? I know a lot of people say If it isnt broke dont fix it but I would appreciates peoples thoughts/experience with this.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:38 AM

Windows 8 and 8.1 wont require any special driver updates. If updates are required, they will more than likely be available in windows update (besides graphic drivers for special cards)

Gavin Seabrook

#3 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:44 AM

Hello there,

Its safe to say that you will be better off updating your drivers and system only through Windows Update.

Hope this helps! 

#4 rickb2385

rickb2385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

I thought getting any hardware drivers through Windows Update wasn't supposed to be a good idea if you ever do need to update a driver. A lot of people say that it can cause problems and you are better off if you do need a driver going to the hardware manufacturer or PC vendors website for it. Is that no longer the case with Windows 8/8.1?

#5 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:48 AM

I don't much care for getting drivers through windows update either. I usually just go straight to the manufacturer for the device drivers.

Gavin Seabrook

#6 rickb2385

rickb2385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:32 AM

Out of curiosity...and I know this might sound like a dumb question.....Lets say you've installed the Intel chipsets first as you are supposed to do...then you install the rest (Intel Management Interface, graphics, SATA, Audio, Network and any other driver updates that are required).

What happens if 6 months later a newer version of the Intel Chipset software becomes available?

!. Do you install it or not?

2. If you do install a newer version of the Intel chipsets do you then have to install all your other hardware drivers ((Intel Management Interface, graphics, SATA, Audio, Network) again? i.e does it affect the previous drivers that you might have installed in a recommended installation order. The reason I ask is because I know its critical that Intel Chipsets are installed before anything else and Im not 100% sure why though I have a good idea.

Would installing a  newer version of the Intel Chipsets affect any previous hardware drivers you installed or would it just make the new chipsets more compatible with any new devices you might install in the future without interfering with any previous drivers for any hardware that you have already installed?

Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question. Im just trying to get a better understanding of how the Intel Chipsets work

#7 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:21 AM

No, Chipset drivers affect only the devices in the chipset. It will not affect your other drivers unless they are part of that update. Generally when you decide to update drivers, just check all of them for updates and apply them all at the same time so you are always up to date on everything. 

Gavin Seabrook

#8 Horiguchi

Horiguchi

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

Personally I haven't any problems after update.

#9 a2ftweaks

a2ftweaks

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

I see I have the same problem with a camera there was no support for Windows 8, so you should try to install the divers for Windows 8 or even windows 7 it might resolve your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users