Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Check Disk for Integrity

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Terwyl

Terwyl

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:52 AM

My laptop consistently shows a black/white message on start up saying that it is checking a disk integrity. I believe my previous laptop stopped working a while after seeing such messages.

I have read how to manually run check disk but laptop will not let me do it, saying that I do not have sufficient privileges. I believe that as only user I have Administration rights if that helps. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:42 AM

You may want to see if your laptop has built-in diagnostics (during boot up) and try running a hard drive diagnostic. It is possible that there may be an issue with the drive itself. If not, your PC might not be clearing the flag for disk check on next boot if it continues to do it. To turn this off, boot you computer into windows and access the registry by clicking your start button and in the search bar type REGEDIT.

You will navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Then in the right hand side, Modify BootExecute

Default value is autocheck autochk *

Make sure you set it to the default value and it wont check at boot anymore

Gavin Seabrook

#3 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:39 AM

as you can get into windows download and run sea tools

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

once you have excepted terms and conditions ect check the hard disk then in the menu click basic tests then run the following tests,

S.M.A.R.T Check

Short Generic

Long  Generic

Short Drive Self Test

one at a time to look to see if any fail the test if the hard disk fails the tests then backup the hard disk buy a new hard drive replace the hard drive with the new one and do a fresh install of windows or OS of your choice and reinstall relevant software

Edited by ICT_Tech, 01 October 2014 - 03:41 AM.

#4 Terwyl

Terwyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

OK Gavin well the default is set as you specified.

ICT Tech - The Seabrook Tests failed on Short Drive and Long generic.

I have no idea of where to start formatting a new hard disk, for example how do you actually access it to start downloading Windows etc. etc.?

In the past you had various CDs with all of your software on to download one by one, but now you do not have these. Do I assume that by backing up my C Drive that by installing from the Back Up drive that all these programs will automatically restore and be usable?

Thanks

Terry 

#5 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:02 AM

Hi Terry,

no unfortunately it does not work like that all the programs will be lost if they where pre installed unless you have the relevant disks or executables to put the software back on.

steps to follow,

1. Get a new hard disk

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Drives-Notebook-WD5000LPVX/dp/B00C9TECFO/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412412850&sr=1-9&keywords=2.5+hard+disk

or something similar,

2. Take out the old hard drive and replace it with the new one

3. install windows using a windows OEM install disc of your version of windows 7.

4. create a new Partition and format the hard disk

5. Install all relevant software and updates

6. copy of backed up files

guide on installing windows 7

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-7-for-Beginners

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users