Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Windows 7 restart issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 exus69

exus69

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:53 AM

Hello,

After clicking the restart option, Win 7 displays shutting down then there's a black screen

and then the monitor light starts flickering on and off but it never actually restarts. Without

pushing the hard restart or shutdown button on the cabinet, I checked the SMPS fan which

was on but the system never actually restarted.

So everytime I need to restart, I first need to shutdown and then start the system again.

What do you think is the problem??

EDIT: This is a freshly installed Win7x64 with SP1 and no further updates

Edited by exus69, 01 October 2014 - 12:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:46 AM

Possible bios configuration issue or bios update needed. Try updating your bios first because it sounds like it cant process the physical shutdown itself. If the update doesn't work, reset you bios to default values and reconfigure it to your settings.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:18 AM

This sounds live a windows issue or software issue first try running a command in command prompt command as follows

shutdown -r -t 0

this should send the commands to restart the machine or to shutdown

shutdown -s -t 0

if the same issue happens update the bios as suggested, if it works this is a known problem and there is a registry fix I will find it in the mean time I have come across this problem before but need to rule some things out first

step2 would be to do same procedure in safe mode with command prompt and see if this happens the same

#4 exus69

exus69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:52 AM

Ok I will try those things and let you'll know in a day or two. Thank You :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users