Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanting to upgrade a ancient PC...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tobymac987

tobymac987

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:05 PM

Hey everyone.  So I got a free computer from someone as a gift.  It is a really old desktop a HP Pavilion a1450n.  I want to learn to work and build computers so I figured why not start with this one.  I want to use older parts that will be compatible with it and try to upgrade it to run Second life without much lag.  I was coming here for help to see if you guys could help guide me in the right direction.  I have already upgraded from 2 GB ram to 4 GB ram.  They pc runs at 60% usage and 100% usage pretty much on any given Sunday.  What are some things I can do and parts I can change out to help lower the pc usage and be able to a graphics heavy game like Second Life.  I want to upgrade the graphics card and power supply but I am unsure if I can use a new graphics card with this pc since it was made in 2007 or if I should try to find out what was the Best graphics card money can buy in 2007 and try to just use that lol.   Thanks for any help I know this sounds weird but like I said it was a gift to me and I just want to try to make it better. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:00 AM

This computer is ancient and in all honesty I would recommend simply buying components and building a new one.

===

However, that's not what you are looking for.

Looking at the specs for your computer, we can see that it currently uses integrated graphics, meaning your CPU is currently functioning both as a graphics and processing unit. This is where a graphics card comes in, it allows you to offload the work of the CPU onto a dedicated, discreet (opposite of integrated) board, resulting in increased bandwidth, reduced CPU workload, and generally better graphics.

The card will connect to your computer through a port on your motherboard, in your case it will be a PCIE 16x port. We can find this information on the product page for your motherboard here. Your power supply will more than likely not be an issue, so there will be no need to worry about that.

So, with that being said, you will have to buy a PCIE 16x card (note how there is no revision, it's just PCIE, not PCIE 2.0 or PCIE 3.0) that will likely be from 2007.

With that criteria, I would strongly recommend this card. The price is $30 after rebate, which is as much as I could reasonably advise you to spend on your dying, aging computer.

==

Keep in mind a moderately decent gaming compatible computer can be had for $500. If you would like to learn, build, and work with computers, take apart and dust off your current one. Clean the pieces individually (while taking proper anti-static precautions) and put the thing back together. Familiarize yourself with the <10 components within it. Then buy the components to a modern computer and put your knowledge to the test. If you need help selecting parts for the computer, head on over to the Questions and Advice for Buying a New Computer subforum!

Hoped I could help,

Felipe2237

Unofficial iOS Genius

#3 tobymac987

tobymac987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:21 AM

Thank you so much for understanding. I dug around and found that the best graphics card that is a pcie from 2007 was the GeForce 8800 gtx 764mb. Do you think this dinosaur coule handle me installing that as those now go on ebay for about 25$ in working condition. Just a thought.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

This computer is ancient and in all honesty I would recommend simply buying components and building a new one.

+1

You want to learn computers?

You could try a Linux Distro on  that pc. Something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu. It would make a great machine for surfing the net email etc. 

If interested start a post here and we can walk you thru it.

Linux & Unix

Just for fun you could download the puppy linux iso, Burm it to cd or usb with unetbootin, and boot your pc into puppy, See how fast that pc can be.

A version 5.7.1 update of Precise Puppy is now available. Precise Puppy is a Long Term Supported release, following Ubuntu Precise Pangolin's LTS attribute. The kernel version of the standard release is 3.9.11 (PAE, i686) while an older kernel 3.2.48 (i486, no PAE ) is used with the retro release (the retro has many device drivers, including analog modem drivers).

Download the STANDARD precise-5.7.1.iso here or there, size = 156 MB, md5sum = c4999c4bd8ca3a8fc935389c2667f848.

I have already upgraded from 2 GB ram to 4 GB ram.  They pc runs at 60% usage and 100% usage pretty much on any given Sunday.

With Puppy Linux that will be around 1% cpu. And 4GiB ram omg you only need 1GiB

In fact most linuxes can run easily on 1 GiB ram.

Edited by NickAu1, 01 October 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#5 tobymac987

tobymac987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:48 AM

this actually was going to be my next question was choosing a different operating system.  I had windows XP on it and i upgraded to Vista and thats when it started to crawl.  Just out of curiosity do you know if i could run Second Life using Linux? 

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:30 AM

Just out of curiosity do you know if i could run Second Life using Linux? 

Yes, http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linux_Viewer 

How to Install Second Life in Linux

http://youtu.be/jjkMOHSwVHU

Edited by NickAu1, 01 October 2014 - 02:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users