Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted files coming back

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RRguy

RRguy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

This has been happening on my mother's computer.  She claims to have deleted files and then they're back the next day.  Then I noticed files that I deleted were also coming back.  This has happened for sure with .bmp files and shortcuts.  These are files that are created by me and deleted regularly.  Haven't noticed any other types returning.  I did a google search, but all I got was results for how to recover deleted files.  Are we the only ones having this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kcstueber

kcstueber

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

Hi RRguy,

I'm just curious if after you have deleted the file/s, then emptied the trash, do a F5 refresh while on the desktop, if the files reappear?

Give it a try, and let me know.

Take care,

Kurt

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

The shortcuts may be reappearing because they are in use by a process or processes and so can't be deleted until that process is closed. If those shortcuts are to programs, make sure the program is closed before you try to delete the shortcut.

You may also want to run a full antivirus scan on your system.

A third option is to try removing them from the command line, once you know the full path to the file you want to delete. Open an elevated command prompt by entering cmd in the search bar of the Start menu, right click on the command window icon, and click Run as administrator. The syntax is

RD /S /Q "full path to file name"  (Note, you do enclose the full patch in quotes when running the command)

#4 RRguy

RRguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:51 AM

I scan weekly with Microsoft Security Essentials, SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes.  I'll try these things and let you know.

Thanks, kcstueber & sflatechguy.

#5 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:24 AM

Just a thought is this computer a school or work computer given to your mum there is a program called deep freeze which does not allow changes and on restart all programs and settings are restored as it is a snapshot of the machine you can also see any running processes and handles that are attached using a small utility called un locker http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker which can be download and used to delete files make sure as well when deleting normally you use shift and delete at the same time that is a permeate delete solution.

#6 RRguy

RRguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

No, she bought this computer new.  She just uses it for games, email & occasional browsing.  I sometimes play Windows Solitaire.  When the game is over, I take a screenshot of the little dialog box that shows the results ("Sorry you lost," usually).  I then save it to a folder where I keep game scores and delete the previous one.  This is one of the types of files that sometimes comes back.  Silly I know, but I like to monkey with the computer.

Thanks for the response.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

Do you empty the Recyle bin after you've deleted them?

Try deleting them from the command line. They won't go into the Recycle bin -- they will be permanently deleted.

#8 RRguy

RRguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:24 AM

I haven't tried it yet.  Next time I have one of those files to delete, I'll try it that way.

#9 RRguy

RRguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:19 AM

Another file came back.

sflatechguy, I wasn't sure what you meant about the quotes, so I tried it this way
RD /S /Q C:\Users\Jane\Documents\games\scores\sol 10-02-14.bmp
and this way
RD /S /Q "C:\Users\Jane\Documents\games\scores\sol 10-02-14.bmp"
and neither way deleted the file.

kcstueber, I deleted the file and emptied the recycle bin and then pressed F5 while on Desktop.  I'll have to wait and see if it returns.

In case it matters, this is the type of file that came back.  Just a screenshot.

sol10-03-14_zps22c12035.png

Edited by RRguy, 03 October 2014 - 03:25 AM.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

The second one was correct. Odd that it didn't work. Was the file closed when you tried to delete it?

#11 RRguy

RRguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:04 AM

Yeah, I don't delete it until I'm done.  And this time I'm sure, because, being a test, I made sure that everything was right.  I copied the file location from the file's properties to make sure that the path would be correct.  It said, "The directory name is invalid. "  If it did work, I would hate to think that I had to delete files this way every time.  This is not a critical problem, just a minor annoyance.

Edited by RRguy, 04 October 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#12 kcstueber

kcstueber

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:43 PM

Hi RRguy,

If it's always related to a game score or something related to the game, is it reasonable to assume the game software/service is related to the file being recreated?. A way to check this possibility; delete the game/service, then delete the files in question. Another way might be to disconnect your PC from the Internet, delete the file and see if it returns.

I don't know if you specified the game in question, and if tall of the reappearing files are all related to it.

Take care,

Kurt

#13 RRguy

RRguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:33 AM

The game is Windows Solitaire.  Microsoft has included Solitaire with Windows since my first computer 14 years ago with Windows 98 2nd edition.  With the introduction of Windows 8, Microsoft discontinued solitaire.

#14 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:52 AM

I Used rd /s /q plus folder make

example rd /s /q user

and it deleted it fine using command prompt

also to delete a file is

Example

del info.txt

command prompt over view

2 things about command prompt you may not of known

• 1 it is not forgiving and you must use exact switches for command prompt to work
  • command prompt floor "it does not recognise spaces in folder names for files" It will only act as a single not a double.

explanation

command prompt can only see single words without spaces unless you use a * symbol it will not finish the command 

here is an example

type information Express

Response from command prompt

The system cannot find the file specified.
Error occurred while processing: information.
The system cannot find the file specified.
Error occurred while processing: Express.

but if you use the following command

type infor*

it finishes the line as a single instead of a double and is one word so will display the correct content

welcome to this document

so lets clear things up and make it a bit more romantic and easier to understand

to delete a file

del info.txt  ("Del space filename.Extension")

To Delete a sub directory with files in

rd /s /q information ("RD space /S space /Q space folder name")

Tip

it is best to change to the directory you wish to work with using the following command this is only an example you would the relevant information

cd C:\Users\TestAccount\desktop

hope this has made sense of what the problem is and how to use command prompt windows most powerful tool invented for its advanced users

Another file came back.

sflatechguy, I wasn't sure what you meant about the quotes, so I tried it this way
RD /S /Q C:\Users\Jane\Documents\games\scores\sol 10-02-14.bmp
and this way
RD /S /Q "C:\Users\Jane\Documents\games\scores\sol 10-02-14.bmp"
and neither way deleted the file.

kcstueber, I deleted the file and emptied the recycle bin and then pressed F5 while on Desktop.  I'll have to wait and see if it returns.

In case it matters, this is the type of file that came back.  Just a screenshot.

sol10-03-14_zps22c12035.png

#15 kcstueber

kcstueber

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

Hi RrGuy,

I wish I could help more, especially if if it's only the game results in that directory. This doesn't necessarily solve the problem, but why not create a test user on the PC, try the same game, delete the results and see if stays deleted. Over the years, I've seen some odd things with User Profiles that have had their permissions messed up or have some type of corruption. If it works, at least you know something more.

Take care,

Kurt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users