Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Just Booted My Computer. Why Does Windows Update...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mavs06

Mavs06

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:44 AM

:thumbsup: I have this Problem, I just did a System Recover on My Pc, The problem is WINDOWS UPDATE was telling me to Update on some critical updates which I did but IT took alot Space on my hardrive during this Process
ON my C drive I now have half of it Full , befor I only had around 8 gigs of space out of a 30 gig Drive, so no I have around 16 gigs of used space, Is this right for all the Critical Updates ??? Do I really Need or should I just use a good Virus program. I have Windows Xp Home Edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:07 AM

8GBs for updates is way too much. When you say that you used the system recover and you referring to the recovery console?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Mavs06

Mavs06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:42 AM

I used the factory cd's my computer came with to start off fresh !!! Do you think these updates are woth it or should I use another browser, since Internet Explorer does cause alot of Problem !!

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:59 PM

Im gonna add my 2 cents here. Now, im not necessarily saying to do these things, but it will free up HDD space and system resources..

On my system I turn system restore and auto updates off. Reason being is Auto update takes RAM and precious Bandwidth that I could be using to surf the web or get on Xbox live. System restore, though set at different sizes, can take anywhere from I think its 3 gigs to 22 gigs. You could turn it off, but dont do that if you dont know computers very well. Reason for this is, if you mess up somewhere along the line, you have nothing to fall back on.

Automatic updates can be retrieved manually at windowsupdate.com, in my opinion this is better than having your system automatically do it. You can pick and choose which ones you want, even though its best to get all. And windowsupdate.com will even be nice enough to SOMETIMES give you hardware and software updates that dont have to do with windows. Say your video card driver or your sound card driver.

Now, yes, you should use another browser, such as mozilla firefox.. www.mozilla.com

but, keep IE handy because windowsupdate.com will only recognize IE. Unless you get a plug in for firefox, but thats a whole nother story.

PS.. When you say critical Update, do you mean Service Pack 2? Cuz that is a large update.

Edited by Uraiser, 10 June 2006 - 02:00 PM.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:49 PM

Rather than turn System Restore off, why not just remove all but the most recent restore point through the disk cleanup tool?

#6 Bladerunr

Bladerunr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:30 PM

Another thing you could try is a program called CCleaner (Crap Cleaner)
You can get it @ www.ccleaner.com
I have found this program cleans out enourmous amounts of junk files that you don't need. :thumbsup:

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

Sounds to me as though you may have two Windows installations - the result of incorrectly re-installing Windows. There is no reason that you should gain double the disk usage from Windows Updates, and even installing Windows twice isn't enough to add eight gigabytes.

Download this little program, Spacemonger, to a folder on your C: drive. When you've got it, extract it to the same folder, then double-click on the result, and click on the "open" in the menubar. Choose the C: drive and let it scan. It will give you a visual description of what you have installed and what it's using up. Run your mouse cursor over a folder to see how much space it's taking up.

It's free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users