Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

notebook won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ashdrel

ashdrel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

Earlier today after my wife had been gone for a little while she got back on her laptop to find it was double typing letters, she'd go to type r and it would respond with rt for example. While i was trying to fix that we ended up removing the battery on the bios screen due to it freezing up on us. Ever since then I have not been able to get it to turn back on. I've tried holding the power button for 30 seconds unplugged battery removed, windows plus b key and power key for 1 second, unplugging the cmos battery to no avail. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Its a HP pavilion g7 notebook with windows 8.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Sometimes a bad CMOS battery will prevent a computer from booting but being a fairly new notebook I am not sure this is the problem. When you held down the power button for 30 seconds, the power adapter and main battery were removed, correct? Is the computer still within the warranty period?

#3 ashdrel

ashdrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

yes the power adapter and battery were removed.  no it's not within the warranty period.  granted i dont know a lot about computers but the only thing i can think is that due to the computer freezing on the bios screen and removing the battery fried the motherboard some how.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

The only other thing you might try is to reseat the hard drive and RAM module(s). Also make sure you seated the CMOS battery correctly. If that does not work I believe you would need to give it to a good independent shop for repair. I wouldn't think removing a battery would fry the motherboard. It may just be a coincidence as you were having trouble with the keyboard.

#5 ashdrel

ashdrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

alright thanks.  was hoping to avoid having to take it there but that's what i get for playing around with her computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users