Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IIS - Intranet - Loading forever, no error!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:09 PM

We have a small intranet ran on our Windows Server 2012 R2 Server. The intranet is just basic HTML and has always worked fine.

However now when you go to load the page, it just loads and loads, i have left a brower open for 24 hours and come back to it and it still has a white page with the circle spinning next to the tab, no error message, but it just doesnt load at all!

I have removed the IIS role and readded it and still the same message happens, restarted services and restarted the server and still doesnt fix it.

I have created a new IIS site on a different port and the same issue occurs, i have also disabled the firewall and tried that, same thing!

I am really confused and cannot troubleshoot as there doesnt appear to be any errors!!

Any ideas anyone? Will provide more details as required, thanks in advance! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

A good place to start is Event Viewer on the server with the IIS role. If you had logging enabled for IIS, you could also check C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC(whatever the site ID is) and C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles\HTTPERR.

What browser are you using to access the intranet site? What OS is running on the client you are trying to access the site from?

#3 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

Indeed - First, Try to discount client side issues - Try different browser, check proxy settings (ensire site is being accessed directly), endure that whatever endpoint protection is on the clients you are using is not interfering., also disable add-ons in the browser.

Ensure the Intranet server is being accessed directly from the PC (that it is not a reflected connection through your firewall and back into the LAN, or through an internal router - this should not be the issue as long as they are on the same network segment and subnet, and no proxy is set on the browser).

Some other thoughts - Use the F12 tools in IE (or Firebug in Firefox) to profile the page request - is any particular element of the pages causing the issue?

Use a network monitoring tool on a client to see the response is coming back from the server.. Is it complete?

If you did not want to install a network monitoring tool you could used telnet. Let's say that you wanted to test if the page "MyPage.htm" is retrievable from host "intranet1" you could (within a command prompt) issue the command

telnet   intranet1   80

Then in the telnet session type (carefully - backspace will not work)

GET   /MyPage.htm  HTTP/1.0

and hit enter again to add another a blank line

You should get the complete HTML of the requested page back - is it complete?

Alternatvely in the telnet window you could have used

GET   /MyPage.htm  HTTP/1.1

Host:   intranet

and again hit enter to add a blank line

That should have the same effect as the first command in simple implementations.

Hopefully one of these suggestions will help us understand the area in which the issue lies (or at least if the server really is returning incomplete responses)

x64

Edited by x64, 01 October 2014 - 07:09 AM.

#4 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

Sorted it now!! Made a new site and had the same issue :(

In the end i just removed the IIS role, restarted and added it back in. All i can assume is that last week i upgraded our server from Windows Server 2012 to Windows server 2012 R2, something must have gone wrong with IIS, its perfect now! :) 

Thanks for the help anyway!! :)

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

Glad that's fixed. :) It's possible the role didn't get upgraded when the server was, or the upgrade wiped out some of the previous configuration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users