Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron 560 - would SSD do me any good?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MissVina

MissVina

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:54 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 560 - yes, it's old, but so am I... :-)

Would it do me any good to add an SSD for my operating system?  Or can I even add one?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Detailed Specs

Your question is ambiguous...the answer would depend on what you are striving for and why.

The one generalization that can be made...a SSD would not be prone to the same failures/functional problems...that a hard drive is subject to.

"Adding one" is not the typical scenario, the value of installing one lies in replacing the drive that Windows is installed on and that change is not likely to be earth-shaking in terms of noticeable speed, IMO...unless you are one of those persons who think that they can measure the speeds at which data is processed.

Generally...the way to increase system speed is to increase/double the amount of RAM installed...more resources to do the same amount of work.

Louis

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

You can add an SSD but you would likely need to reload the operating systems and all of your software etc. Depending on if you have sata 2 or sata 3 on your mother board you may or may not notice a huge difference in transfer speeds of data. You will however notice a difference in seek times. SSD's are generally significantly faster than hard drives (depending on the ssd model) even in very old computers running sata 2 ports I can tell a difference in load times and data access times.

I would say that most likely you would be able to tell pretty easily the difference between a hard drive and a decent ssd. The samsung evo 840 is a pretty good ssd for the price. Both Samsung and Intel are the 2 SSD brands I recommend the most.

I have an older mac that has only sata 2 ports and I can tell the difference very easily between the ssd and a 5400rpm hard drive. Boot times, app load times, and shut downs are much faster.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 MissVina

MissVina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

Thank you both very much.

Louis, if I can improve the reliability of my drive (i.e. less functional problems, less likelihood of drive failure), then that would definitely be a good thing.

Zingo, reloading my op system and software would be okay, because it's probably time to do a wipe and reload anyway.  Thank you for the brand recommendations.

Always nice to get input from those in the know!

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users