Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting a Linksys Router to T1 Adtran

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Owlix

Owlix

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

Hi,

I have just had a T1 line installed and it is connected through an Adtran Netvanta 814.

I can happily connect through a wired connection using any cat5 and assigning a manual ip to my computer.

For this I enter:

WAN: xx.xxx.xx.222

Subnet: 255.255.255.252

Gateway: xx.xxx.xx.221

This works just fine.

However, I wanted to create a wireless network using my Linksys WRT54GL. I have tried turning it into a WAP, entering my assigned LAN info into the routers firmware. This went something like this:

Routers WAN settings - entered as Static with IP, Gateway and Subnet as given to me by my ISP (Megapath). Then in the LAN settings, I assigned the regular IP and subnet, and added two static DNS numbers that were given to me by my ISP.

The Linksys is connected from the first Ethernet port on the Adtran into the internet port.

I can connect to the network but there is not internet.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

Which regular IP and subnet did you enter for the LAN on the Linksys? And what settings are you using to connect the Linksys to the Adtran? You wouldn't use the same WAN settings the Adtran uses -- you would need to determine what the Adtran's IP address and subnet mask is on your side of the Adtran, and then use that as the default gateway address for the Linksys.

#3 Owlix

Owlix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:51 AM

Hi, these are the settings I have. Megapath gave me the IP, Subnet and Gateway for my side and these are the ones I entered into the WAN settings below. The LAN settings I assigned except for the first two static DNS which were given to me by Megapath. Does this look right?

WAN / Internet
Type DHCPPPPoEStaticPPTPL2TPDisabled IP Address Subnet Mask Gateway MTU DefaultManual
LAN
Router IP Address Subnet Mask Static DNS     DHCP Server IP Address Range  -  (50) Lease Time  (minutes) WINS
Wireless
Enable Wireless MAC Address 00:23:69:49:1B:A7 Wireless Mode Access PointAccess Point + WDSWireless ClientWireless Ethernet BridgeWDS B/G Mode MixedB OnlyG Only SSID Broadcast Channel 1 - 2.412 GHz2 - 2.417 GHz3 - 2.422 GHz4 - 2.427 GHz5 - 2.432 GHz6 - 2.437 GHz7 - 2.442 GHz8 - 2.447 GHz9 - 2.452 GHz10 - 2.457 GHz11 - 2.462 GHz12 - 2.467 GHz13 - 2.472 GHz14 - 2.484 GHz  

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

I'm not seeing any IP addresses or subnet masks in what you've posted.

The settings for your WAN will be public IP addresses. The IP address on your side of the Adtran will be a private IP address -- it will be something like either 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x. That is the address you would use as the default gateway for the Linksys.

#5 Owlix

Owlix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

Oh sorry - how do I attach an image here? I've tried to add a URL but it tells me the format is not permitted

#6 Owlix

Owlix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

r22kd2.jpg

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

Your wan settings don't match your first post.  Perhaps that is the problem?

WAN: xx.xxx.xx.222

Subnet: 255.255.255.252

Gateway: xx.xxx.xx.221

#8 Owlix

Owlix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

As you can see, i'm an amateur but I was told not to use the original WAN addresses on the second router. Should I put that into the Wan section and then create a network from the 67.100 IP?

I have tried it both ways but nothing seems to work.

When I connect to direct to my Adtran router using a CAT5 I manually enter the .222 IP and it works as a wired ethernet network. Does that mean that the same fixed IP should be used in my wireless router WAN settings?

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

Are those the settings on the Adtran or the Linksys? If they are on the Adtran, you don't need the Linksys to create a wireless network -- the Adtran is already configured to provide one.

If those are the Linksys settings, change the WAN settings to point to the internal IP address on the Adtran. Since the Adtran is already connected to the Internet, trying to connect the Linksys to it as well will fail. You need to determine what the IP address is that the Adtran is using for the internal Ethernet ports, then use that address as the WAN default gateway on the Linksys.

One way to find that internal IP address on the Adtran is to connect a computer to it via Ethernet, and then open a command prompt and type in

ipconfig /all

Look for the default gateway address and the subnet mask, and use that to configure the Linksys.

Edited by sflatechguy, 01 October 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#10 Owlix

Owlix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

So, I used the command prompt and this is what it gave me:

IPv4: 68.165.40.222

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.252

Default Gateway: 68.165.40.221

So, if I put those settings into my Linksys WAN section, what should I put in the LAN section - can I use the 192.168.3.1 address?

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

If those are the settings in the computer was given by the Adtran when you connected it using an Ethernet cable, try those default gateway settings in the Linksys WAN section, and yes, use the 192.168.3.0 network for your home LAN.

#12 Owlix

Owlix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

Hi, thanks for your help - it finally worked. I had to release and renew through command prompt and it saved successfully. I really appreciate your assistance!

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

Glad that got resolved. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users