Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network stuck on "identifying"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arkaine

Arkaine

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

Hi all,

My desktop can't connect to my network, it remains stuck on "identifying" indefinitely. Both via LAN or via WiFi. I followed the guide on: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/fix-internet-connection before coming here, I also have tried to restart my computer and my modem seperately, together, and powering down and re-powering up, to no avail. Oddly other devices (such as my phone) can connect to my network just fine and access the Internet.

I've attached the FSS.log and some screenshots for reference.

The
Checking ServiceDll: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to open Dnscache registry key. The service key does not exist.

and

Checking ServiceDll: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to open Dhcp registry key. The service key does not exist.

seems to suggest to me that something is wrong but I'm not sure what to do.

Also, I don't seem to be able to carry out the various ipconfig commands in my cmd.exe. I've attached the screenshots of the messages I receive. I get this error message when I carry out ipconfig/release or ipconfig/renew commands:

"An error occcured while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : The RPC server is unavailable"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by Arkaine, 01 October 2014 - 07:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:06 PM

Worth A Read

Louis

#3 Arkaine

Arkaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:32 AM

Hi hamluis,

I've actually gone through those steps trying to release and renew my IP, I get this error message when I carry out ipconfig/release or ipconfig/renew commands:

"An error occcured while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : The RPC server is unavailable"

#4 Arkaine

Arkaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:58 AM

So I did more research and I went into services.msc and found that my DNS Client and DHCP Client, while set to Automatic Start, are not starting and the error messages both are:

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

Odd because it was just working fine a couple of days ago.

#5 teresa470

teresa470

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

My daughter's school computer had the same problem. After spending a lot of time trying to fix it, I decided to call tech support. They ran through several things with me (most of them I had already tried) and hfe inally came up with a soultion. Here is what he had me do:

1. disconnect power supply for computer, modem and router.

2. disconnect ethernet wire from the pc

3. hold down the power button on the computer for 30 seconds.

4. plug the power back into the modem and wait for all the lights to come on.

5 plug in the router (if you have one) and wait for the lights.

6 plug the power supply and ethernet wire back into the computer.

7 turn the computer back on.

These steps worked for her computer, I hope they work for you.

#6 Arkaine

Arkaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:44 PM

Update:

I managed to resolve the issue, it was far more complex than I had initially thought. It turns out that a few registry keys were somehow deleted, probably after I removed various forms of Mal-Ware.

After managing to figure out which registry keys were missing (instead of actuall .dll or .sys files as I initally thought), I realized there was no fast way to fix it so I rolled my computer back 2 days via system restore and thankfully that solved it.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

Edited by Arkaine, 02 October 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

System Restore is an option that I never consider (because I don't like it and prefer routine backups or clones of the Windows partitions), but it's certainly an option that ALL those folks who do not regularly backup...should employ.

Glad you resolved it, thanks for letting us know.  Happy computing :)!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users