Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint problem after trying to install dropbox

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Hi everyone, been awhile since I last posted, so I'm a bit rusty about information needed.

I use Mint 13 and recently tried to install dropbox, and everything is a mess now. I can't find how to get rid of it. Seems like it got stuck somewhere in the process. Using most of my CPU percentage per running the TOP command. Can't get into synaptic to remove it - get an error message about an apt-get process running. Just trying to find a starting point to correct this.

Can I post screenshots here, or do I need to do that from Photobucket?

I should have written everything I did, but I got myself totally lost now.

Thank you,

Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention -  TOP shows dropbox running as root using up all the CPU percentage.

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

Sorry I have no experience with Dropbox. Hang in there and the Cavalry will arrive soon, I expect.

Screenshots - Photobucket, I have tried but now use Imgur, there is Tinypic and others. When you are at the image hosting site and have your image in view, choose Direct Link and hover the mouse/pointer over "Copy" and click. Then back to here, pick 2nd line of toolbar 11th from left or 9th from right, paste URL and enter.

Good luck

Wizard

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

Have you tried uninstalling it?

Try this.
How to fix broken packages using the Command Line
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/482

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:54 PM

Tried to uninstall many ways - keep getting error messages such as unable to lock administrative directory - is another process using it?

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:15 PM

keep getting error messages such as unable to lock administrative directory - is another process using it?

When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).

•     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.

•     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

Edited by NickAu1, 30 September 2014 - 09:19 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:27 PM

As Nick stated above, the more information we have, the better. Anything that can lead us to a solution. 

I actually installed Dropbox but changed my mind after MS increased OpenDrive storage to 15GB, plus I have another 15GB with Google Drive. So the 2GB that Dropbox was offering wasn't needed. Though I never fully setup the Dropbox account, installed it & removed it via the Package Manager a couple days later. 

Can I post screenshots here, or do I need to do that from Photobucket?

Photobucket is fine, it's what I use & is easy to do. We now have to use a 3rd party service for most of these items. 

And please include any other details that screenshots may not show. Like, have you removed other software or packages during the same timeframe? 

Look forward to your reply & hopefully we can sort this out.  :)

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:00 AM

Thank you. I'll get everything organized, put in order, and respond back a little later.

#9 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:24 PM

Hi, thanks for being patient with me. Let me try to be more organized this time.

First of all, my system was installed by a computer shop which uses it's own 'fork' of Mint 13.  Here is some system information - btw, the high CPU usage is with nothing open ( other than what's hiding in there somewhere ).

system_zps32c2a55b.png

cpuusage_zps30a784de.png

When I tried to remove it via terminal

removeattempt_zps04d29236.png

When I try to get into Synaptic to remove the package

synaptic_zps92e381b2.png

One other bit of information

grepoutput_zps29d81c3b.png

Hope this helps to get a look at the problem. I haven't installed anything else for quite awhile.

Edited by Keith1, 01 October 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

How can I solve Unable to lock the administration directory

apt - Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib ...

Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/) is ...

Arch Linux .

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:14 PM

Mate just passing through, looks like you got the hang of that screenshotting. Which solution did you use?

I was just typing through my first line and NickAu1 dropped in, and lo and behold he had the same answers.

The 2nd one is a link from the first, and is notable for having the exact same syntax as the errors you described from Terminal.

I simply type in "could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: resource temporarily unavailable solved" at Google, I find Solved fast-tracks me quite often.

NickAu1 and cat1092 do the voodoo that they do so well, I'll leave you in their capable hands and good luck

Wizard

#12 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

Hi wizard, I followed your instructions above to get my screenshots from my home folder to here via Photobucket - thank you.

Hi Nick. I'll work through the info in the links and post back how I fare - thank you.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

Mate just passing through, looks like you got the hang of that screenshotting. Which solution did you use?

Wiz, Photobucket is the best one that I've used. The cool thing is that all one has to do to post a link is bring up the picture or screenshot & click the IMG box under "Share Links", then click back to the forum page, right click & select "Paste". That's all there is to it. 

Uploading of photos/screenshots is easy, once you're on the site, it's self-explanatory. Just drag the images you want into the area shown. You'll be given the opportunity to name or label each image. 

Keith1, one thing I see in those snapshots of concern. Whatever "shop" performed this install should redo it, with 2GiB RAM installed (1.9GiB shown), some Swap is needed, I'd say 1.5 to 2.0GiB with that amount. You're going to run into troubles with that much RAM & no Swap. If you had 8GiB or more RAM, I could go along with this, whomever did that job just set you up for a return visit & I'm serious about this. Even with 4GiB, it's best to have 512MiB to 1GiB available. 

Do you get the same errors after a reboot? 

Hopefully some of the information that Nick has pointed you to is of assistance. 

Please keep us posted, and you should contact whomever did this job & ask why no Swap was created. You paid for a service, it should be done right. Oftentimes, many of these shops are familiar with Windows, and some won't even touch Linux, but some who does still doesn't do a good job, because they don't know how to in many instances. Not that their intentions are always bad, it's just that most Linux users performs their own installs. At least those that were built & sold before Windows & Secure Boot hit the scene. That made it harder for the casual user, but also for shop staff also. All of these different brands & models & all OEM's has their own way to implement & disable Secure Boot. 

If that's the case with you, Secure Boot is now disabled, to my knowledge, there's no shim or key available for Linux Mint to work with Secure Boot, though this data changes often. 

And again, I'm not necessarily saying the shop intentionally shafted you, but rather wasn't aware of the need for a Swap partition. 

Nick will likely agree with me on this. A Windows expert means nothing in the Linux world, the hardware yes, it's the same. But not the knowledge on how to properly create partitions, this stuff is easy to do, it's easier & faster than a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 & 8/8.1 installs. No multiple rounds of updates & reboots needed. 

Hopefully this is sorted out soon.  :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:44 AM

Nick will likely agree with me on this. A Windows expert means nothing in the Linux world,

I sure do agree.

Arch Linux .

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:23 AM

Nick will likely agree with me on this. A Windows expert means nothing in the Linux world,

I sure do agree.

I slightly DISagree, despite having burnt my bridges, blown away Windows 7 and embraced a totally Linux environment, at least on my main PC, and more to follow.

However, in the interests of keeping Keith1's topic, on-topic, I will scout around before I set up a new topic, rather than duplicate.

BTW like the Avatar, Keith1 ... is that Cyclops, of the X-Men?

Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users