Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboards Won't Work--neither Wireless Or Ps2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 sbruce

sbruce

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:48 AM

While on a break from my computer, my keyboard stopped working ( mouse fine)--wireless. Tried other wireless, and even a corded keyboard, nothing works. Ran a lot of spyware programs as advised by BleepingComputer consultant, (ewido, housecall, etc.) and normally running Norton and Adaware. He suspected a virus and said to post aHJT log but i wonder if it is hrdware still have heard nothing fom myHJT post.

i can get "F" keys to work onPS2 keyboard can start in safe mode but still doesn't work. using on screen keyboard. help!!
XP Pro 2002, SP 2; HP Intell T2400 1.83 GHz
987 Mhz .099 GB RAM; MS Outlook; Anti virus: AVAST; LAVASOFT Ad-aware;
Firefox 2.0.0.9

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:15 AM

hmmm...you may have hardware related issues, instead of software. ok, pull the side off your computer, and look at the capacitors, look for any swollen capacitors, here is a url to a diagram of what to look for, this may not be your issue, but that is the first thing i do when i start to work on a com puter..
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...hl%3Den%26lr%3D

if you see any bad dudes like i the link above, you should consider a board replacement. it is possible to replae caps, but i dont advise it, it may have damaged some of the electronical components they are designed to power. anyhow, post back once you ahve checked them to let us know if this is an issue or not.
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 sbruce

sbruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:35 AM

ok but b4 i do that--does it make sesnse that the f keys work on ps2 ?
XP Pro 2002, SP 2; HP Intell T2400 1.83 GHz
987 Mhz .099 GB RAM; MS Outlook; Anti virus: AVAST; LAVASOFT Ad-aware;
Firefox 2.0.0.9

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:19 AM

Hello sbruce,

Yes it's possible that the function keys would work and not others. I have never seen it but it could happen.

Two suggestions for troubleshooting: First, once you are booted into Windows, try plugging in a USB keyboard. If that works you can just use it. However if bad capacitors are the cause, the problems will "spread" and eventually the computer will not even boot up, so you may have just bought yourself a little time.

The positive way to find out whether this is a hardware or software problem is to boot from a bootable floppy or CD and try to do something, anything that puts characters on the screen. For example, you could boot from a Windows boot floppy which would put you at the A:> prompt. See if your keyboard functions by trying to type in some random characters at the command line. If the PS2 keyboard works under those conditions then you have a Windows problem.

Question -- are you sure your PS2 keyboard is okay? have you tested it on a working computer?

Edited by DaveM59, 10 June 2006 - 09:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users