Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 revealed. Microsoft announces successor to Windows 8.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

At the Windows Event today Microsoft officially announced that the next version of Windows will be Windows 10. Windows 10 is being designed to have a common feel across all devices, while still allowing traditional desktop keyboard users to have the Windows interface that they are familiar with. This includes bringing back a full featured Start Menu that also allows you to personalize it with Windows 8 style apps. Windows 10 is slated to be released in 2015, with a technical preview being available tomorrow as part of the new Windows Insider Program.

Windows 10 adapts to the devices customers are using from Xbox to PCs and phones to tablets and tiny gadgets and what theyre doing with a consistent, familiar and compatible experience, enabling even greater productivity. Windows 10 will run across the broadest range of devices ever from the Internet of Things to enterprise datacenters worldwide.

Some of the new features of Windows 10 are:

A Unified App Store that contains programs that can be run on any device that is running Windows 10. For Windows 10 a new programming platform will be released that will allow developers to create applications that will run on all devices using Windows 10. That means that if a developer creates an application for Windows Phone, it can still be able used on Surface tablets and Windows 10 desktops.

The Start Menu is back with the ability to embed Windows 8 style (Metro) apps. In addition to the traditional start menu look, you will now be able to personalize it to display Metro style applications, pin folders, and pin favorite applications. The Start Menu will also contain universal search that includes web search results.

startmenu.jpg
Windows 10 Start Menu

Virtual Desktops allow you to create numerous desktops and assign specific applications that you wish to run on them. You can then switch between the various desktop as needed to access those particular programs.

virtual-desktops.jpg
Virtual Desktops

Windows 10 also introduces the new Task-View button on the task bar to see all of your running apps and programs. From this view you can quickly find an open application, the virtual desktop it's running on, and switch to it.

taskbutton.jpg
Task-View Button

Windows has added improvements to their Snap feature that will offer tips on what programs to fill the remaining space on your screen when you snap a program's window.

Windows Apps now run within a Window like normal desktop programs. This means they can resized, moved around, have title bars, etc. This is a big benefit for those developers who design apps under the new unified app store platform. Now developers can create an app that works on all devices, but still feels like a Windows desktop application when run on a keyboard driven device such as a computer.

apps-in-window.jpg
Windows App running in a Window

There will now be a Touch and Keyboard mode that allows you to switch between a Windows 8 like interface or the traditional desktop UI depending on whether you use a keyboard or touch. This allows Windows 10 to be usable across all platforms.

The Charms Bar is back for this release of Windows 10. They kept this in for users of touch screen devices.

The Command Prompt has been tweaked to make it easier to enter information. Now it is possible to copy and paste directly into the command prompt instead of enabling quick edit. This was a unexpected but welcome announcement for power users who work in the Command Prompt.

Tomorrow Microsoft will be launching the Windows Insider Program that is geared towards power users and technology gurus who want to learn more about the new version of Windows and test drive a preview. User's can sign up for the program and interact with peers and Microsoft product development staff on the current and upcoming features of Windows 10. The Windows Insider Program will contain a downloadable Windows 10 Technical Preview and a feedback app that allows you to report bugs and give feedback as you test it. The Windows Insider Program and the site to download the Windows 10 Technical Preview will be launched tomorrow at the following URL: http://preview.microsoft.com//

If you are interested in Windows 10 and plan on installing the technical preview, feel free to discuss it in our dedicated Windows 10 Forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

A few more articles I came across today for those interested.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 vladv

vladv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:12 AM

It looks a bit better than my current Windows 8.1 with Update 1, but WHY Windows 10?

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:22 AM

The Command Prompt has been tweaked to make it easier to enter information. Now it is possible to copy and paste directly into the command prompt instead of enabling quick edit. This was a unexpected but welcome announcement for power users who work in the Command Prompt.

Can't wait to test this. It looks very good overall, I can't wait to test this. :)

but WHY Windows 10?

Assuming they wanted to continue using numbers, 9 would be a bit unfortunate, because we already had 95 and 98 a long time ago (just my guess though :)).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

Doesn't much matter what they name the next OS...does it? Just so it is not easily confused with an earlier release.

But...if they had asked me I would of suggested 15 or 2015. The only reason being it would be easier

to identify when released....more relevant.

EDIT:  10 sounds a bit prepubescent...:)...while 15 isn't exactly mature sounding...it is adolescent... :crazy:

Edited by buddy215, 01 October 2014 - 08:58 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

Windows insider link is at: http://preview.windows.com/
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

Download Windows Technical Preview
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

See also the News topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550459/windows-10-technical-preview-is-now-available-via-the-windows-insider-program/

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#9 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

I just love how technical MS is in recent times.....  "Setting up a few more things"  Haha

Looking forward to the preview in a few minutes though! :clapping:

#10 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

Why is it that each new release of Windows seems to look more and more like my Linux system?

Virtual Windows, Cut and Paste in the Command Window, Software Repository Support, etc.

And now it seems that the Even/Odd numbering system for the Kernel is being used.

What will be next, the extn file systems?  :devil:

Cheers!

Naught

#11 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:37 AM

... WHY Windows 10?

ExtremeTech > Why is it called Windows 10 not Windows 9?

When asked about Windows 10's name, Windows chief Terry Myerson and Joe Belfiore avoided a direct answer, instead joking about how “seven ate nine” and then lamely saying how the “breadth of the product family” justifies the grandiose name.
I’ve added two other alternative (conspiracy?) theories on why it might be called Windows 10 rather than Windows 9. I would take these theories with a large pinch of salt — but I’ve included them because they’re just about feasible enough that they might actually be real.

First, an ExtremeTech reader called Benny emailed me to say that the number 9 is considered unlucky in Japan. Microsoft has a big enough presence in Japan that it may have skipped Windows 9 to avoid any weirdness or ill will. Benny says that Trend Micro — a Japanese company — did the same thing a few years ago when it skipped version 9 of its antivirus software.

Second, someone purporting to be a Microsoft developer posted this comment on Reddit:

[-]cranbourne 736 points 1 day ago
Microsoft dev here, the internal rumors are that early testing revealed just how many third party products that had code of the form

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9"))
{ /* 95 and 98 */
} else {
and that this was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.

As stupid/amazing as this sounds, it is actually quite feasible that there are still a lot of legacy Desktop apps that use this method (or something similar) to check for Windows 95 or 98. Bear in mind that this is just an example piece of code — some developers will check for the OS name (“Windows…”), some will check for the version number (as discussed in the previous section of this story), and some might use other methods entirely to find out what OS the app is running on.
So, there you have it: Windows 10 is called Windows 10 because Microsoft says so.

#12 drainsbay

drainsbay

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

I have it downloaded and it looks good - I need to do some more work

#13 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

How long will 7 be supported , thanks.

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

Windows 7 *
Latest update or service pack: Service Pack 1
End of mainstream support: January 13, 2015
End of extended support: January 14, 2020

Above information from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

* Support for Windows 7 RTM without service packs ended on April 9, 2013. Be sure to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 today to continue to receive support and updates.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

Windows 7 *
Latest update or service pack: Service Pack 1
End of mainstream support: January 13, 2015
End of extended support: January 14, 2020

Above information from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

* Support for Windows 7 RTM without service packs ended on April 9, 2013. Be sure to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 today to continue to receive support and updates.

Thanks , i have win 7 home premium sp1 and after reading your above links i am still somewhat confused about main stream and extended support.   Is mainstream support like getting tech assistance from Microsoft's website ?   I am primarily concerned with security updates not tech assistance.

Edited by herbman, 04 October 2014 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users