Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply crashed, now getting blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 00bolt

00bolt

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Ill try and make short and sweet.

I have a PC that I built a couple years ago and has been a great computer for gaming, photo editing, etc.  The other day, I came home and computer was just off. I rarely ever power it down and typically just on all the time.

So I messed around and nothing I could do would get it to power on. Took out power supply and went up to local Frys and they tested it, confirmed power supply was dead. Well they didnt have another one like what I needed. Mine is a 500w and the fan blows out the back, not the top/bottom. And my CPU/motherboard plug, only has 4 pin holes and not 6 or 8 or whatever all theirs had.  So I bought one, didnt work, returned and got another one they had. This one seemed to be ok, but only problem is...

its 400w and not 500w like my old one

has an 8 pin CPU/motherboard plug, so i plugged in just half of it into the motherboard. seemed to be ok

so yay, now computer has power. it boots up... gets to screen where i choose my profile, and window starts up... gets all the way to my desktop and its there for a few seconds and boom.... blue screen and then loops back and restarts. does this over and over. I tried doing safe mode, system restore, etc and still same thing always happens.

this power supply was cheap. Like $15 cheap. and its very lightweight. almost too light. and of course, it was only 400w and not 500w.

Do you think Im getting the blue screen because of this power supply? by finding and replacing with the same original 500w, would work fine?  or do you think when original power supply went out, something damaged my hard drive too?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

I'd have to guess it is a cheap power supply issue also being lower wattage (what are the computer's specs) gpu? cpu?

If we can get the bsod code I may be able to help you further, after powering on the computer, start tapping F8 repeatedly until you

get the "advanced boot menu options" there you should see something that says "disable automatic restart on system failure" use your arrow keys to highlight that and hit enter.

If this succeeds the computer will hang on the blue screen and you can write down all of the info there. Then post that info here. To restart the computer, either use ctrl + alt + del or hold the power button.

Edited by zingo156, 30 September 2014 - 02:57 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users