Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-installing WinXP Home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Raymondo44

Raymondo44

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hi, I have acquired a pc which is loaded with WinXP but in Spanish.

I want to wipe the drive and re-install my English version of WinXP.

What are the most efficient steps to achieve this? I'm thinking drivers, mainly, for the system. Programmes I've backed up ready.

Would it be a good idea to use my Double Driver program to download/install the drivers, or back up the drivers myself. 

Not sure how to be sure I've backed up the drivers myself.

I had a mad thought that maybe I could try and do a WinXP repair over the Spanish version. Anybody know if this is possible?

Appreciate any help.

Raymondo44

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

Using another computer (there is always a way) I download and make sure I have the right drivers for the NIC. From there I just re-load the OS and when done I load the NIC drivers, get connected and then download the rest. However, with XP can be iffy. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

Don't use a third party program to download and install drivers. It's best to get them from the motherboard site if custom built or the OEM. What is the make and model of the computer or motherboard if custom built? Chipset drivers are the first to be installed.

For wiping the drive you can use the bootable version of Partition Wizard and do a disk wipe (quick zero fill).

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 September 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#4 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:33 AM

Hi, 

Thank you for your replies.

My problem is that the machine being a Spanish WinXP Pro.install, it's difficult to navigate to what I need to find.

I have tried the HP  site, ftp://ftp.download.packardbell.com/DESKTOP/iStart%20(2006-2007)/Driver%20XP/

The cpu listed is not the one installed in my machine, so it's very confusing.

I have tried the mobo maker, Gigabyte with no luck so far. 

Any help much appreciated.

Raymondo44[attachment=156354:HP Istart 9108.rtf]

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

If you have another computer available, I would not worry about drivers. Xp should be able to handle most of the drivers from the install disk for you to boot XP.

Adding the other drivers would just be a matter of looking in Device Manager for any yellow exclamation marks. From those you would be able to get the correct driver needed.

What is the exact model number of the Packard Bell? You said HP site but listed the ftp site of Packard Bell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users