Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Instant Messaging

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:50 AM

hello all, long time no type!

i'm hoping someone here can tell me why i've suddenly developed this weird problem.

i've had msn instant messenger forever...or at least since i've had my 'puter, which is 3 1/2 years. yes, i have plus! onboard, also...WITHOUT the sponsor program. in the last few months, i've been having strange problems with it. when i click on someone's name, the border of the window appears...and a..."ghost"...sits on my screen for about 15 seconds...then it finally fills in and becomes whoever's window i've clicked. alternately, when someone sends me an im, a "ghost" appears on my screen, letting me know that someone is trying to im me...and while this "ghost" solidifies, my mouse freezes, i get thrown into super-slow time, and about 90% of the time, i'm booted off whatever site i happen to be at. once the window forms completely and opens, everything works fine again. this process can take anywhere from 15 to 45 seconds.

a few notes:

since i disappeared and resurfaced, i've moved...and consequently, gone from cable 'net to *gasp* dial up, the ONLY service available in the area i've relocated to. however, this didn't happen for several months AFTER i connected to the dial up service (and it occurs even on a T1 connection, as i recently took my 'puter to my son's home and connected with his cable service).

i have already uninstalled and reinstalled both the messenger and plus! programs.

it doesn't seem to matter how many windows i have open.

i'm running XP...not sure what else you'd need to know. but i'll be more than happy to supply any other info you might need. it's certainly getting (getting???) annoying...i use my im to keep up with my kids as well as my friends, it's much cheaper than long distance phone calls!

thanx in advance for your help!

damgud

Edited by nmdamgud, 10 June 2006 - 06:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users