Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

R6002

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JW01

JW01

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:53 AM

For some weeks I have been plagued by a “Runtime error! R6002 – floating point support not loaded” message from various programs which did not show it before.
I have researched it and tried uninstalling Visual C++ 2005/2008/2010 and reinstalling them and uninstalling the affected programs and reinstalling them, but to no avail.
It even happens to portable programs (eg SumatraPDF Portable) and programs which do not need installation (eg ProcessExplorer).
Incidentally, of the Sysinternals programs, Autoruns is unaffected, ProcessExplorer shows the message and ProcessMonitor cascades the message.
I am on Windows XP SP3, but I believe it also occurs at least on Windows 7.
Please can you help?
Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

JW01, I've done some researching on your issue, most everything I can find leads to security issues (infections). Though this isn't a 100% certainty, it's what I'm discovering from others with the issue in quotes above. 

“Runtime error! R6002 – floating point support not loaded”

What type of security are you running on these OS's & how often are you scanning the system(s)? I realize that the primary issue is on XP, but you also note this occurs on Windows 7. Meaning that there's something going on to cause these errors. It's best to have active AV & AM (anti-malware) protection, while many runs AV scans, just as many doesn't bother running AM ones. 

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an example of a good Premium one, and it's also offered in a Free version with a 14 day Trial of the Premium features. 

As to AV software, there are many choices, with XP a good one is needed, as with every passing month, there are items getting security updates & patches on Vista & above that are now ignored on XP systems. Being that the same thing is going on with Windows 7, it appears as though your security is letting you down. The sharing of Flash & backup drives between the two OS's doesn't help either, neither does sharing a Data partition if on the same computer, if this is taking place. Like for if a piece of software (or a few) is updated on Windows 7, you download these, transfer to a Flash drive, connect it to XP, bring it back to Windows 7, that's an easy way to get the formerly clean OS infected. Or sharing any files between the OS's. 

Lets get a snapshot of your system, if you will, the XP one, since this is the XP section. Speccy can help to tell us some things about your OS, though further diagnostic tests may be needed. It's a starting point. Here's how to post that snapshot. 

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Please provide this information & we'll take it from there. 

We look forward to your response & hopefully can get this nailed down.  :)

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 JW01

JW01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

Cat, many thanks for your detailed reply.

I should explain my situation.

I am not on the internet at home; I use the local library internet service, which allows me an hour per day.

My home system is Windows XP SP3. I only mentioned Windows 7 as I had seen the same problem reported on that OS (and I think even Windows 8).

As I am offline I do not use AV or AM (I do understand the risk from the memory stick).

As I mentioned, proposed solutions have focussed on corrupt Visual C++ but they have not worked for me.

I will carry out your instructions and report back.

Once again, many thanks.

#4 JW01

JW01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:40 AM

I was unable to publish the snapshot as I am not online so I saved it as a speccy file.

It doesn't allow me to upload this type of file so I've changed it to txt.

I do not understand what “bad allocation” means and I do have an optical drive!

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:13 AM

Sorry, I couldn't make out that text, tried a couple of programs to no avail. It's simply lines of garbled data. 

Bad Allocation (generally) has to do with one's hard drive, but without the contents of that file in a format we can read it from, it's going to be hard for us to diagnose, and I prefer to stay away from guesswork diagnostics. Just because the Bad Allocation term was found, doesn't in itself mean anything, it's the data or string of code that follows it that matters. 

It would be great if we could get that computer online, if only for a few minutes (Avast has a great free AV for your needs), so that we can properly diagnose your computer. It you have a wireless card, even a USB one, there may be wireless hotspots in your area to connect. If this is possible, download Avast Free Antivirus first (if the computer is running well enough), I would post a link, but it may be no good for your region. Many computer users runs Avast though, it's often the #1 most used free one in the world, and for good reason. 

I would enjoy the opportunity to be of better help, but need a clear link to see what's going on. 

Hope that you get the chance to provide this soon. 

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

Sorry, I couldn't make out that text, tried a couple of programs to no avail. It's simply lines of garbled data.

@ Cat ... change the downloaded file extension from .txt to .speccy, and then open as a snapshot with Speccy.Attached File  speccy report.jpg   38.51KB   1 downloads

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:58 PM

AustrAlien, thanks for the advise! :thumbup2:

We all learn something new daily. Have converted it, will have to get on another OS to run it though, as Speccy can't be installed on the Windows Technical Preview (as of yet). 

Am there, have converted, have never seen a Speccy snapshot look like this. CPU & RAM "bad allocation". 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WyDGOqpIMM7CWYrUy0R6RtZ

I feel that more extensive testing will be needed to find out what's going on. 

EDIT: Could it be the motherboard drivers are not installed or corrupt? This "bad allocation" diagnosis applies to this component also. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 06 October 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:32 PM

I suggest  uninstalling System Care and the Avanquest application...installing a real AV and using a real firewall...updating the AV and running a full scan.  Do NOT post the results of malware scans here, just tell us the net result.

Small wonder that you system seems out of sorts.

Louis

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

I second the suggestion by Louis above, ASC can cause more problems, a lot more so, than it can resolve. 

Plus it has a powerful registry cleaner, something that this site doesn't recommend. These are known to cause sometimes severe issues, including the inability to boot. 

It's been some time since I last heard of anyone using the Avanquest software & for good reason, it's junk software. Mainly software that's seen on giveaway sites. It's best to stick with well known & reviewed security software. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users