Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Being Weird?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 applesauce10189

applesauce10189

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:06 AM

I ordered a new mouse, got here today, so I unplug my old mouse, plug in the new one, give it time to install its drivers 'n stuff, then start using it, at first it was awesome, now sometimes it doesn't let me do anything with the taskbar sometimes (Note: I have a workaround for the problem but I'd prefer it never be caused in the first place) and when I restart/reboot my computer, it doesn't let me select any profiles or click anything, the only way I can select my user is by pressing tab until my user is highlighted then press enter, so because of this problem I tried unplugging my new mouse and plugging in my old one to see if it's still a problem, and it is, so, decided to see what happens when I use the touchpad my laptop came with, problem still there, another annoying thing about whatever's happening, in google chrome i cant select anything in the top bar area, except for tabs, back/forward and my bookmarks, but if I try opening my bookmarks it asks if I'm sure I want to open all my bookmarks at once, and when I click a tab, instead of switching to said tab it closes it, and for some reason the back/forward arrows open the page in a new tab which is annoying. None of this happened until I plugged in and started using my new mouse.

EDIT: Also hitting refresh opens in a new tab.

EDIT #2: Turns out pressing ctrl+r refreshes the page the normal way.

EDIT #3: Looks like my little "workaround" was just a 1 time fluke because it doesn't seem to be working now.

EDIT #4: It appears google chrome is now the only program my mouse can somewhat interact with. Great. I could really use some help.

EDIT #5: Yeah, even my keyboard can't use tab/enter to interact with other programs. Whatever is wrong with my computer, it's getting really annoying really quickly.

EDIT #6: Probably worth mentioning the other programs are programs I started before I couldn't interact with other programs, so the programs I currently have open are: Task manager, Skype, Spotify and Google Chrome.

EDIT #7: So, I hit ctrl+alt+delete and clicked around a couple times (not on anything specific, just generally clicked) and noticed that now it highlights things when I mouse over them as if my mouse works, and apparently now I can click things. Google Chrome still doesn't work 100% right but at least I've managed progress. Also I'm running a full scan via Microsoft Security Essentials in case maybe it's a virus causing this.

Feel free to ignore all that stuff. Turns out the mouse that I just got today was damaged in shipping. It truly is amazing how much trouble a jammed mousewheel can be....

Edited by applesauce10189, 30 September 2014 - 07:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for letting us know :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic