Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

install won't boot from cd or usb

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jjbot

jjbot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:57 AM

I was recently using Easy Media Transfer to transfer files from my old xp pc. It didn't work so I ended up using a 32gb stick to copy them. Problem is, apparently my misadventure with that software made my old machine go haywire -- I could only transfer through safe mode and sometimes it still would autorestart.

I managed to get all the files I care about, so that's good, but I was going to give the comp to my dad, but apparently something in that software (or the included cable) has ruined it beyond use. So no biggie, I'll just reinstall xp, right? Well, it won't boot. Tried copying it to usb, won't boot from there either.

Each time I changed the bios settings for what I was trying, but no dice. All it does is black screen, nothing, followed by another failed attempt to boot windows, followed by failed attempt to boot cd/usb. You get the idea.

What else can I try? Usb ports still work so I'd think the usb boot would work, but it didn't, but all I did was copy the cd's files onto the usb, which may be wrong (I don't know). All I get is a blinking cursor.

The fan also blows full blast continuously, if that matters. CD wasn't read in safe mode but usb was. Pretty much any programs make it auto reinstall. It's only good for transferring files now (luckily I was able to). Strange how (apparently) that software caused this, how?

Any info would be appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:26 AM

What is the make and model of the computer? If it still has a recovery partition  you can do a factory reset. Any software or data added after purchase will be lost.

For not booting usb, make sure USB is the first boot device in BIOS. Some computers have a boot menu key you press at boot. For booting USB, do the following. Make an iso of the XP install CD using Imgburn.  Use a slow read speed. When installing Imgburn opt out of any optional software. Then download and run Rufus. Opt out of any update check. Select iso image in the lower dropdown box and click the folder icon next to it. Browse to the XP iso you made. Press start. Any info on the USB drive will be lost.

Edited by hamluis, 30 September 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#3 jjbot

jjbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

eMachines W6409 desktop, had it since 2006.

Anyway, I got it to run the system restore by hitting F11, which I previouslly hadn't thought to do (I thought it would start automatically, as it says on the disc).

So, I have a worse problem it seems: I've now done a factory restore and windows still won't start. It keeps trying but then the comp restarts. First it restart in the middle of the last part of setup. Now it's managed to finish setup but then restarts right after that, and is currently stuck on the xp loading screen.

I've never had a problem that couldn't be solved with a restore, until now it seems.

Throughout my attempts I occasionally get a blue screen error message, which mentions making sure any 'new' hardware is installed properly. I got that message before I tried to restore also, even though I have no new hardware.

I can still get into safe mode but can't seem to install programs there.

I still think that transfer software caused this somehow, but I can't imagine how. I think it (or something else) has caused a hardware change but I have no idea what. Is there some diagnostic tool I can use?

If I get the blue screen again I'll post exactly what it says.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

You said "Anyway, I got it to run the system restore by hitting F11, which I previouslly hadn't thought to do (I thought it would start automatically, as it says on the disc)". What disk is that? I am not familiar with the factory reset on an emachines. When you tapped F11 at boot, it loaded the emachines retore manager?  This was a complete factory reset, correct? If you can get to safe mode download and run Seatools for Windows. Test the disk and see if it passes or fails.

#5 jjbot

jjbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

Can't even get into safe mode now. Computer over. :(

Not sure what I can do now but get someone to fix it. I still don't get how a simple software made for XP could destroy a computer like this. It was working great and then, the next day, downhill from there, getting progressively worse by the day, until now the logo barely comes up and safe mode won't load. Wow.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:30 PM

You can download Seatools for DOS which is a bootable iso and see if the drive passes the tests. That would narrow it down if the hard drive was the problem.

In my post #2 I gave some wrong info. The latest version of Rufus will not create a bootable USB flash drive. I would suggest this and see if  your computer runs well with it. Download Puppy 5.7 and use Rufus for creating a bootable USB flash drive. Boot Puppy and play around with it. It resides in RAM and will read from the USB when necessary. If it runs well than it would be an XP issue and not a hardware problem. If you like it, you can get a full linux distro like MINT xfce which should run well on the computer. I would download and install the 32bit version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users