Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Telstra trials public Wi-Fi network with free access ( Australia )

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

Telstra will begin a trial of its nation-wide public Wi-Fi network this November, installing Wi-Fi hotspots in busy public hubs and in its network of payphones across Australia. As a sweetener, Wi-Fi access at the 1,000 hotspots will also be free in advance of the network's official launch early next year.

"For the first time you'll be able to use your home broadband allowance outside the house...all you have to do is share a little bit of your broadband access with others -- you can use their hotspots, they can use yours," Telstra said of the new network when it was announced in May.

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/telstra-trials-public-wi-fi-network-with-free-access/

Oh I can't wait for the security nightmare. And as for pay phone sites any Australian can tell you these are few and far between.

Hang on, This will have a user name and password like any wifi? Can you say Reaver, and aircrack and Mac Changer..   :hysterical:

Edited by NickAu1, 29 September 2014 - 11:17 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:52 AM

Lel, we're the slowest to get everything, slapped on with huge tax and cost. While the world complains about their gigbit up/down, we still enjoy our 20mbit down and 1mbit up.

As for free WiFi, what the hell is that? :D

Security-wise, nobody in the public have any idea what that is. -.-

mYIGVc5.png

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,943 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:13 AM

lol......I wasnt aware that you could spell 'security' with only 4 letters......

"free" & "telstra" is a contradiction in terms......the two words are generally not used in the same sentence....

.....and if you actually enjoy a 20mb download speed you must live beside a telstra exchange !!

......and i can just see the locals pulling up a chair beside the local telephone box......

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:44 PM

Yeah, I am on Telstra with the 20mbit, which is probably pretty good for Australia. Optus and others only seem to get 10-20, depends on where you live.

mYIGVc5.png

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:30 AM

I am with Exatell and get 16 down and 1 up, Thats not bad for around here.

"free" & "telstra" is a contradiction in terms......the two words are generally not used in the same sentence....

Yes.

......and i can just see the locals pulling up a chair beside the local telephone box......

Will add a whole new meaning to the words Social and Media.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:32 PM

Hi -

I'm with iiNet and get about 15 down and 1 up constantly.......There is never a change of more than .1 or .2 up or down.

But I'm trying to work on a Toshiba All in one, and it shows Full WiFi signal but I am lucky to get online at almost any time.

I reset everything, clean all infections, and have not been able to improve anything on it.

In Ocean Grove, the NBN has not made it, and I can usually reset it to get on to I.E or F/fox. It stops 3kms up the road and that is it ..........

Why will it show 100% reception, and not allow me to be on the net for more than a few seconds ???? Yes I know - Government needs votes up the road, not here.

I got here long enough to download RKill / AdwCleaner / MBAM / TDSS, and the link for Emsisoft from dc3 ...over 5 attempts....so it is squeaky clean.

Telstra refuse to call us back on a mobile, and the home phone is via the computer, so it will not work for more than a few seconds.

EDIT - And they pay for a Reasonably Top-level Plan .......

Edited by noknojon, 21 October 2014 - 11:36 PM.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,250 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

Telstra refuse to call us back on a mobile,

Complaints - Victorian Ombudsman - Ombudsman Victoria ,  They have to call you on what you have.

I reset everything, clean all infections, and have not been able to improve anything on it.

With you doing all that I know the pc is clean.

Have you tried another PC?

It's a pitty you do not have a Live DVD with Linux on it, or Do you? What I would try is booting that PC from a Live disk with Ubuntu, Once booted Ubuntu would detect your connection and ask you for the Password, Then you could compare speeds and see if its your end or theirs.

Arch Linux .

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:02 AM

I might take my laptop there later and see if it works better .... (Usually do)

The problem is just dealing with Telstra most of the time and getting pushed away -

Edited by noknojon, 22 October 2014 - 03:03 AM.

#9 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:36 AM

Your "100%" reception *which is always inaccurate in Windows*, does not always effect drop-outs. Most of these cases are problems with the router.

mYIGVc5.png

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

Your "100%" reception *which is always inaccurate in Windows*, does not always effect drop-outs. Most of these cases are problems with the router.

I know all about that side of it, and Telstra provided 1 new modem (worked for a very short time) and they purchased another 1 (same thing) ...

It is the whole area that gets readings of over 75% and up to 100% reception, and unless you have a Telstra cable hooked to your house, reception is garbage.

Just that they are the only company that "claims" to provide good reception in the area where they are.

All other companies are not silly enough to "claim" to provide any WiFi reception in the area "at all".

My cable reception, that is a bit further away, is 100% better and no company will offer WiFi to me under any circumstances ......

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,250 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:00 PM

I had a similar problem with Optus and my 3G connection, Went into the Optus shop explained that my connection kept dropping out while signal was at 80%+, Took the laptop into Optus tried it there worked fine, Then the sales rep says ' well of course it works here sir, The tower is just over there, You must live in a poor reception area sir, can we sell you an antenna? ' Then I pointed at my house 150 meters down the road from the tower.  So we dumped the Optus 3 G, And went with Exatel.

Now here's the funny thing. 

Exatel uses the Optus network and also uses the same tower 150 meters from my house to provide my 3G, Without a problem signal 100% and 15 mbs down 1mbs up.

Arch Linux .

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:20 PM

You must live in a poor reception area sir, can we sell you an antenna?

Telstra already did this scam, and all that went down was the clients bank account .............. (must be a typical scam)

I look out of their window and I can see the exchange, (almost directly over the road). They even claim NBN is there, but it finishes between 3 and 5kms up the road.

All they want is their $350 to run a line 2 Met, from a pit to the unit .......................

Unit is fully wired already, but not plugged in (set of 6 expensive units)

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,250 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:12 AM

Telstra has switched on the first 150 Wi-Fi hotspots in its national Wi-Fi network just in time before the busy Christmas period.

Unsurprisingly, the telco is lighting up the portions of the Wi-Fi network where demand will be at peak, with consumers now able to trial the service in Bourke Street Mall in Melbourne, Hyde Park in Sydney and King George Square in Brisbane.

Telstra’s group executive retail Gordon Ballantyne said that Telstra’s ambition to roll out Australia’s largest Wi-Fi network was finally starting to take shape.

Starting today, people will be able to trial free Wi-Fi at some of Australia’s

“This trial marks the beginning of our ambition to switch on more than two million hotspots across the nation over five years and give customers the best Wi-Fi experience in and out of the home,” Mr Ballantyne said.

“In Victoria our Wi-Fi trial will be switched on in 14 towns and cities in time for Christmas including Geelong Shepparton, and Phillip Island.”

Telstra lights up its Wi-Fi network | The Australian

Arch Linux .

#14 hman123467

hman123467

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:19 PM

Wonder if they will do it in regional areas?

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,943 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:33 PM

Good Luck with that !! (depending on what you call Regional, of course...)

.....and speaking of things broadband,and therefore things related to Telstra, and the provision of 'services'.......

I am actually quite proud to say that I had  WIN  in a prolonged intercation with telstra....and yes i did leave them feeling about this size.,  :thumbup2:

and by prolonged I am talking 18 months.

And on the question of the topic here.....I have not heard another word about this happening

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users