Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:33 PM
I recently downloaded a folder containing 2 files. One a file that looked like a mp4 file, but was a exe file disguised. The other file was disguised as a windows movie maker file. I foolishly clicked on the exe file and now it seems I have something resembling a hijack / takeover virus on my computer. I have run scans with Microsoft security essential and came up empty. Right after I unknowingly installed the virus, it redirected me, from my default internet browser to a browser called Firefox, even though I haven't installed Firefox, nor is it listed in my programs installed. This browser resembling Firefox, works and runs similarly to a regular internet browser. Note: I am running windows 7 home premium.
The problems I am experiencing right now are:
1. whenever I open my default browser (Google chrome) it would close google chrome immediately and open the Firefox resembling browser with surfvox.com as the home page.
2. Whenever I try to search anything remotely related to removing viruses, or anti virus software on any browser on that computer, that browser will instantly close.
3. I tried to download the program called hijackthis (anti virus) on a separate computer and transfer the file through USB. I can open the USB and access the files in it, but when I click on the anti virus software I want to install, it would instantly close the install wizard, not allowing me to do anything.
4. Whenever I open task manager it would also close it immediately
5. Whenever I search anything related to antivirus or virus removing programs on my windows explorer search bar it would also instantly close that window.
So basically this virus, which i can't find has my hands tied and won't let me remove it using antivirus software. Please help me.
Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal