Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PUP - computer hijack virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Allen4059

Allen4059

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

Hello,
I recently downloaded a folder containing 2 files. One a file that looked like a mp4 file, but was a exe file disguised. The other file was disguised as a windows movie maker file. I foolishly clicked on the exe file and now it seems I have something resembling a hijack / takeover virus on my computer. I have run scans with Microsoft security essential and came up empty. Right after I unknowingly installed the virus, it redirected me, from my default internet browser to a browser called Firefox, even though I haven't installed Firefox, nor is it listed in my programs installed. This browser resembling Firefox, works and runs similarly to a regular internet browser. Note: I am running windows 7 home premium.
The problems I am experiencing right now are:
1. whenever I open my default browser (Google chrome) it would close google chrome immediately and open the Firefox resembling browser with surfvox.com as the home page.
2. Whenever I try to search anything remotely related to removing viruses, or anti virus software on any browser on that computer, that browser will instantly close.
3. I tried to download the program called hijackthis (anti virus) on a separate computer and transfer the file through USB. I can open the USB and access the files in it, but when I click on the anti virus software I want to install, it would instantly close the install wizard, not allowing me to do anything.
4. Whenever I open task manager it would also close it immediately
5. Whenever I search anything related to antivirus or virus removing programs on my windows explorer search bar it would also instantly close that window.

So basically this virus, which i can't find has my hands tied and won't let me remove it using antivirus software. Please help me.

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

Hello Allen can you download and run RKill

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 1
  • Link 2
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.
>>>>
Download 51a46ae42d560-malwarebytes_anti_malware.MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup-2.0.exe to start the installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
  • Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the installation. You can find the complete installation procedure here.
  • Click the Scan Now button, a threat scan will start automatically.
  • MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will now check for the latest updates. Click Update Now if new updates are available.
  • Your computer is now being scanned, please do not use your computer during the scan.
    • If no threats were found, click View detailed log.
      • Click Export and save the log as a .txt file on your Desktop or another location.
    • If the scan detected any threats, click Apply Actions.
      • To complete any actions taken you will be prompted to restart your computer...click on Yes.
      • After reboot, start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware again and click the History Tab at the top and select Application Logs.
      • Check the box next to Scan Log. Choose the most current scan and click View.
      • Click Export and save the log as a .txt file on your Desktop or another location.
  • Providing the MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware log file
    • Attach the log file you just saved to your next reply for further review.
    --------
    Rootkit Scan

◾On the Scan tab, select Custom Scan.
    ◾Click the Scan Now >> button.
    ◾Under 'Custom Scanning Options' uncheck all boxes.
    ◾Select only 'Scan for rootkits'.
    ◾Do not select any drive letter.
    ◾Click 'Start Scan'. If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
    ◾When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions.
    ◾Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.
    Note:
    If there were no detections, you can click on the 'View detailed log' link after the scan completes.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users