Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problems With Computer Being Too Slow When Burning Dvd's And Editing Videos?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mavs06

Mavs06

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:30 AM

:thumbsup: Ok I have a Sony Vaio computer, I must say when it comes to other things it's pretty fast , but when It comes to burning or editing anything with videos or Dvds it freezes or takes a long time. I just bearly Installed my Dvd burner and a 250 memory card, hoping I would get some great results, but no it's pretty slow , so far Ive only burn 2 movies both movies are were 90 minutes and it took me 2:15 min for each the type of DVD's i use are 8x's fast, Im really frustrated... here are the specs/features
help me
!!
2.40GHz Intel pentium 4
512mb pc2100 DDR
Kbyte 256 mb ddr 2700/2100 (that I installed)
80gb Ultra ata/100
533mhz fsb/ 32 mb 256
3d graphics accelerator
4x agp slot available
microsoft windows xp home

Another thing Window Task manager Performance Graph says when I edit/burn I use over 100 Percent of CPU Usage, I don't have a Proble when Burning MUsic or Data/Dvd's

Is there something Im missing ?? like a Video card :flowers: Model SonyVAIO PCV-RX850

I forgot to mention I had to Exchange one of my Drive to Install the Dvd-r drive which was the One on top !!
Anyhelp will be appreciated !!

Edited by Mavs06, 10 June 2006 - 02:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:44 AM

a couple of tips and small hardware upgrades will help your matter. when burning dvds, you should always use a UDMA5 cable, ata133mhz (80 conductor) cable. also your ram runs at 266 mhz. it does work, but 400mhz will provide your cpufaster data access. check your atapi (dvd w) cable and ensure it is as indicated, and consider a ram upgrade. remember, if you install an additional 512 mhz ram, it will run as fast as the slowest piece you have installed. so take the other piece out. you are not looking for more ram, just faster. your board should support 400 mhz ram. verify on your board's manual, or on sony's website that it does , using your system's model number. any trouble, post back your system make and model and we willl try to give you a link to go to.
happy burning.
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Mavs06

Mavs06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:29 AM

:thumbsup: Snapper, Thanks for your reply. That definitely sounds more promising. the advice I took people were saying to buy more ram but I thought all ram was the same , just to let ya know Im still kind of New with computers. UDMA5 Cable where is this located and what should I look for ? Also should remove the 256 ram that i have Installed ? what should I look for in a Ram card ? should I go for more MHZ like you said 400mhz instead of 266mhz, Even whe I installed the 256 Ram card I bought I did not see any Difference.
I saw this Ram Card at walmart here are the specs :

Corsair 512 MB PC-3200
DDR 400MHz 184-PIN DIMM Kit

Edited by Mavs06, 10 June 2006 - 07:30 AM.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:43 AM

that ram looks better than what you have. remember, its not necessarily more ram that will help, but faster ram.. if you want to get real fussy, look for the "cas" and "ras" latency. the lowwer the number, the faster the ram can access the addresses stored in the module..lol. but the walmart stuff will work for you. make sure you take out the slower stuff, or it will slow down your faster ram.k.
post back with any questions.

#5 Mavs06

Mavs06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:59 AM

Thanks, what about this cable where is it located, and what should I check for ??
You think Is better if I take off both of them off, that Includes the Factory one Installed or just the One I purchased !! Lol I know bestbuy is about a 20 minute drive, walmart is about a 5 minute drive.
:thumbsup: Hopefully this Works I been Frustated for about 5 days just Trying get some Answers from Answers.yahoo.com lol wrong Place !!! Im glad I found this Place alot great Info :flowers:

Do you have links to what you would Consider a Superior Ram Card !!! with Low : "cas" and "ras" latency

what do consider good Numbers !! YOU Right IM Kind OF FUssy about GEtting A good Card, I don't want be Frustated !!

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:48 AM

gimme the model and name of your puter. your motherboard will dictate the capacity of all the installed modules and compinents. for example, your board may support (idoubt it ) dual channel ram, which used properly, will give you 800mhz freq. on your ram. Geil ram is very good, so is a lot of name brands. walmart knows nothing about technical pc parts. i would suggest you goto a store that has technicians working in it, they would likely have different assortments and brands. and would know what you are asking for.kingston is a solid name as well, it has a large compatibility range for differernt boards.

as far as the cable, it is the ribbon cable attached to your hard drive and your cd/dvd/optical drives. you are looking for 133mhz UDMA 5 cable. looks the same except it has 80 conductors instead of 40.

#7 Mavs06

Mavs06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:36 AM

Model is a Sony VAIO PCV-RX850 !! I hope it support it!!!

#8 Mavs06

Mavs06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:55 PM

^

#9 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:56 PM

BTW if you are making a dvd the transcoding process takes a while...

The program has to change all those mpegs and avi or other video files into the compatible DVD formats wich includes also seperating the video and the audio... I am running a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with a gig of RAM and it still takes my 45 minutes to burn a 2 hour DVD...

#10 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:50 AM

I can't quite believe what you said in your first post: You can burn a 90 miniute DVD in 2:15 ??! I'll assume that means 2 hours and 15 minutes rather than 2 minutes and 15 seconds (that would be 90 X). There is definitely something wrong with your system regardless of your memory amount or speed.

The first thing to check is if your IDE channel has been changed from being in DMA mode to being in PIO mode which is considerably slower. Trouble reading a scratched disc will cause XP to set this slower mode.

Go into the Device Manager to check this out: Hold down the Windows logo key and press the Pause-Break key. Click the Hardware tab. Click the Device Manager button. Click the plus sign to the left of the item named IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right-click on IDE channel two and then click Properties. Click the Advanced Settings tab. In the Device 0/1 boxes make sure that the Transfer Mode is set to "DMA if available". If the Current Transfer Mode is set to PIO then this would help explain why recording is so slow.

A good maintenance procedure is to make sure that the optical drive's len is clean. A dirty lens will cause the drive to malfunction. An inexpensive cleaning disc can be bought at places like Radio Shack, Walmart or a computer store.

#11 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:55 PM

sorry i've been away, how did you make out with the ram?
your board dosen't support dual channel BTW. but here is the spec sheet on your computer
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-doc...pl?mdl=PCVRX850
ram will help you burn. also correct is the post about the method of burning, do you convert? or do you burn direct? what software are you using. are you burning your "backup" dvd's?
but when burning, ram is a key helper, when ripping , cpu plays a big part, although they are both paramount of course, those 2 areas are where they do make a difference. as does the cable.
let us know how you made out.

#12 mavs_006

mavs_006

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:51 PM

[color=#000099][color=#000099][size=4][color=#3333FF]I was waiting for you to check if the 400mhz would be compatible with my Pc !!! I guess I going to buy another of the same kind :thumbsup: Im using Nero 7, and several others i have tried. Im burning Dvds movies from my files on my hard-disk that I have dowloaded, also Im creating Menu with Chapters, So do you think I should get another 512mb 266mhz since the 400mhz is not compatible .??

Edited by mavs_006, 11 June 2006 - 11:53 PM.

#13 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

DDR266/PC2100 memory is obsolete and is not on the market anymore. Your system can use DDR400/PC3200 type memory. This is like using premium gas in a car designed for regular. It can't take advantage of the extra quality but it sure won't hurt. Also, if there are enough memory slots, both kinds of memory will coexist with each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users