Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy A Already Used Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 polopolo

polopolo

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:35 AM

I'l want buy a already used windows xp.
Works it then on my pc, if it is used and activated?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:17 AM

Hey Polo,

you want to buy a second-hand xp version right?
now in germany they are round 150 for professional and roundabout 100 for home (new versions).
technically you would need to look for the original cd with the license sticker and serial. having a look at ebay and amazon shows that a reputable source (high numbers of sales and positive votings) sell new ones for same price as in shops and the second hand ones i found are all recovery versions (a thing to watch out for).

I have read that if you get a copy that has been resold a few times, MS is not so happy with the serial and updates and that small problems arise (but not sure on that one).

i would just go and buy the home version, unless you have a network and need the additional features from xp pro.

alternatively you could download the vista beta (which is free til 2007) and then buy a full version for 99 (thats the prize they said vista is not to exceed in europe ?!?).

hope this helps.
rgds frm germany

johannes

Edited by Yourhighness, 10 June 2006 - 02:19 AM.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

If its code has already been used it gets dicey, the owner (original) can transfer the OS to different computer, this is so that if you built a new machine you would be able to transfer the OS to the new machine and not use the old machine with the same OS.

As for the Bata version of Vista, M$ has a reputation for releasing their Bata versions so that the public can debug it for them, this could be a very frustrating experience.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:59 AM

Unless you are very good with computer troubleshooting, avoid using a MS Beta version of anything, as they are released for testing purposes and can have bugs, interface problems with other applications, and all sorts of other problems.
For the same reason, avoid purchasing prior-owned versions of XP, since you may have a different set of problems, either with registering it with Microsoft or receiving faulty or incomplete disks.
You will be much happier buying a full and new version of XP in the long run.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 polopolo

polopolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:21 AM

Thank you all.
I should think about it.

#6 OptionWizz

OptionWizz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:44 AM

HI :thumbsup:
I would go for the trial download [free] or the cd [postage cost] of windows server2003 [free with key]
or the small business suite trial including server2003, sqlserver, and a lot more. Comes on several disks [free] for the cost of postage [usa $6.00]

all with key # on the package as well as in the email,

a very stable packace as RC II and many updates abound.

A small word of warning on the oem windows versions, they may work but each are tuned with features for a specific computer and may [will] cause future problems.

The trial packages include all features and set themselves up , perhaps a little slower cause of the extra features but its a lot faster than i can type.

good luck.
jim :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users