Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Technical Preview

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

Tomorrow is the expected announcement of Windows 10, codenamed Windows Threshold. Along with the announcement, they will also most likely announce the release, or soon to be released, Windows 10 Technical Preview. Who plans on installing it when it comes out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

Windows 9 already? Windows 8 was released only 2 years ago! If we keep going like this, by 2020, new operating systems will be released monthly! But seriously, the release dates seen to be getting shorter by the year.

Honestly, after windows 8, I've lost faith in microsoft. But "windows 9" may regain my faith in microsoft, by reviving the start menu, and making windows more desktop/non-touchscreen friendly.

EDIT: WINDOWS 10??? OH COME ON!!!

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 30 September 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:17 PM

Windows seems to have this "two-step" OS releases. One good - one bad - one good (XP - Vista - 7 - 8).

Hope to see improvement in 9 :3

mYIGVc5.png

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:55 PM

I have to agree with Ezzah here. Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE was stable and reliable, ME was a crash prone flop, XP was fantastic, Vista was a hardware issue prone OS, Windows 7 no complaints, still using it here with no issues. Windows 8 I beta tested, I did not like the new start menu at all! Otherwise it wasn't that bad. I just never bought a reatail copy because I hated the start menu.

We'll have to see what Windows 9 (now known as Windows 10) has to offer. If its a free alpha or beta release, I'll surely install it on a spare hard drive and give it a whirl. Couldn't hurt to at least try it before I knock it.

(Edited: Since Windows 9 is now known as Windows 10??? :blink:

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 September 2014 - 02:21 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:38 AM

I'll definitely give it a whirl.

Thre's the curiosity factor, of course, but even without it, I still need to get a head start on the system as clients who buy Win 9 machines, will expect me to an expert from Day 1.

It's my understanding that it will just be a polished version of 8.1.

Bringing back the Start Menu will make all the difference in the world, for better acceptance than 8 got.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

Looking 4Ward to the opportunity and it shall be implemented a.s.a. (as soon as available)

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

Behind the scenes, Windows 8 was actually great. It's UI just sucked though making it so people didn't want to go near it.

I too think Windows 98, XP, and Windows 7 have been the best. It definitely appears that they always throw crap in between the good releases.

#8 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

I must say that I have not one issue with 8.1.Installed classic shell and has been working perfect ever since.I

guess my complaint is not with the OS but rather with the UEFI bios.Still can't boot from CD or change the boot order.

#9 Tenis

Tenis

Bleepin' FX

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

I like only XP and Win 7. i didn't like windows 8 style that's why i don't use it.

Windows 8  unnecessarily waste system resources.

I think Microsoft noticed the defect that's why it releasing new verion.

Lets see what features windows 9 come with.

I will definitely try it.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

Behind the scenes, Windows 8 was actually great. It's UI just sucked though making it so people didn't want to go near it.
...It definitely appears that they always throw crap in between the good releases.

I'm on Windows 8.1 and don't have any 3rd party start menu installed.  Actually, I've gotten quite used to getting around without a start menu and I generally have no problems.  That said, if I was on Windows 8 I would have installed Classic Shell just to be able to boot straight to the desktop.

I do agree though that the release of popular and unpopular versions appear to follow a pattern.

I guess my complaint is not with the OS but rather with the UEFI bios.Still can't boot from CD or change the boot order.

I have no problem booting from a CD however I do have to switch to Legacy first.

As for Windows 9, I'm very interested to see what the public says about it although I think I'll pass on testing it personally.

Edited by Agouti, 30 September 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#11 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

I too think Windows 98, XP, and Windows 7 have been the best. It definitely appears that they always throw crap in between the good releases.

Actually UI sucked makes 90% of it sucked. Windows 8 GUI eats too much disk usage and RAM.

Totally agreed with Ezzah. Windows XP is great.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#12 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

I'm wondering if someone should start a thread of "I hate 8", or something similar, so as to not derail the OP's thread about the Windows 9 preview and his question about who will be trying it.

All is well in Paradise.

#13 AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup

• Security Colleague
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

Windows Server 2012 for the most part has much the same GUI as Windows 8 and way too many clicks to get to some tasks and was simply easier in previous builds.

Hopefully Windows 10 will return the ability for users to add links, shortcuts, etc to just about any location they want. You really have to dig in to "customize" Windows 8 or Server 2012 as there are shortcuts or links that they simply don't want you to create. That is just plain annoying and makes it harder for users to customize - WHY?

Agree with Lawrence that the underlying technology is an improvement but the GUI "do it our way, not your way" is crazy and why (IMHO) so many users avoid Windows 8 like the plague.

Here is hoping Windows 10 will remove or alleviate most of those restrictions.

Edited by AdvancedSetup, 30 September 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

I modified the title to reflect the fact that its called Windows 10 and not Windows 9.

#15 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

The company reinforced that this is not a version of Windows that everyone should run to download; it's an early release, not production quality, and should only be used by the technically able.

I read that quote at the link below.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/09/microsoft-launches-windows-insider-program-to-get-windows-betas/

So could, or should the Windows 10 preview be run as a Virtual Machine?

Edited by GB2064, 30 September 2014 - 04:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users