Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft expected to announce new version of Windows tomorrow.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

Microsoft is having a special special invite-only Windows event in San Francisco tomorrow that is widely speculated to be the announcement of the new version of Windows. This version is codenamed Windows Threshold, but may simply be named Windows 9 when it is actually released. As with previous versions of Windows, Microsoft will most likely make a Windows Technical Preview available along with this announcement. This preview will allow users to see the currently development of Windows and the some of the new features that will be offered.

Some of the leaked and rumored features that we will see in Windows 9 are the return of familiar desktop look, a Start Menu, the removal of the charms bar, virtual desktops, and Cortana integration. Virtual desktops allow you to setup different virtual screens that you can launch programs or open documents in. This allows you to open a browser in one desktop, your homework/work in another, and games in another with the ability to easily switch between them. Cortana is a personal assistant similar to Apple's Siri.

We will keep everyone updated as more information is released. In the meantime, if you wish to discuss Windows 9, feel free to head over to our new Windows 9 forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GT500

GT500

Authorized Emsisoft Representative

• Security Colleague
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

So Microsoft is finally adding virtual desktop support? That's one of the first things I get rid of when I install a Linux desktop... I hate it when I accidentally hit a keyboard shortcut that switches me to an alternate desktop, or even worse when a desktop manager automatically moves you to one when you put the mouse in a certain place on the screen...

Don't get me wrong, I have 2 monitors, but in situations where I don't I find it much easier to handle only one desktop.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:20 AM

or even worse when a desktop manager automatically moves you to one when you put the mouse in a certain place on the screen...

I love hot corner and expo edge .

Edited by NickAu1, 30 September 2014 - 12:27 AM.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:52 AM

Some of the leaked and rumored features that we will see in Windows 9 are the return of familiar desktop look, a Start Menu,

Sign me up for that! :thumbsup: Hopefully that means I can skip 8 (metro *shudders*) altogether.....

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

I still didn't use Windows 8.1 yet, oh, the technology these days goes so fast. (Thinking about Windows 95 era. lol)

OK I want old start button and start menu back, if Windows 9 really have that I will go for it.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#6 Hippygator

Hippygator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:25 AM

"Oh no," Siri said, "I don't have that!" Can't afford it either! That Microsoft giant sucking sound! :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users