Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with an old Nvidia card and Server 2012 R2

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Simman

Simman

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

TL;DR at bottom.

Hey again Bleeping Computer. I'm here again because you've saved me everytime I needed help in the past, so I have returned with a bit of an interesting issue.

So basically I have an old HP that's been frankensteined together over time. It used to be my primary machine, but was retired a few years ago when I decided to build a new one. Since then it'd been sitting under my desk collecting dust. Recently I learned about the Microsoft Dreamspark program from my college and decided I found a proper use for the old bastard. A home server! Media content, web hosting, I'm sure I'll think of more jobs for the old thing. But alas, I have run into an interesting Issue. My old GTS 250 won't show up in device manager and I'm unable to install proper Nvidia drivers. Under device manager, it simply shows 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'. Now, normally I don't care what things say as long as it works, but the lack of a proper driver might be the reason that I can run the Native 1440x900 res on the monitor.

Another question is one about windows apps. I can basically install anything that can be installed on a Windows 8 machine right?

Outside of that, it seems to be running. Being completely new at this stuff though, If anyone has any other pointers for me on how to get the most out of Windows Server, I'd love to hear it!

TL;DR: Installed Windows Server 2012. GTS 250 not in Device Manager. Unable to install drivers. Unable to use Native res on monitor. What do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:51 AM

Sounds like it replaced the driver with the basic display adapter (or that could be your integrated graphics card if there is one on the server). If Nvidia drivers wont install, it could be a defective card and would need to be replaced. 

And yes, Server 2012 can handle windows 8 apps.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users