Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System won't boot past bios screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 adm1979

adm1979

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:33 PM

I have a HP Pavillion Slimline s7260n I'm working on for a friend.  A baby was banging on the keyboard and it went down.  When I boot it up it says at the initial HP screen and goes no further.  No lights come on the keyboard when I turn it on. It says to push F1 or F10.

I have tried replacing motherboard battery and swapping out hard drives.

If anyone can give me some advice or suggestion it would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

:welcome: to the Community of Bleeping Computer adm1979 :)

Have you tried removing the internal power connectors, RAM, CMOS battery, hard drive and reseatting them firmly with power cord unplugged already? Press the power button for atleast 20 seconds while all connectors are unplugged or removed. It would also be worth removing the hard drive just to check on the difference or progress in booting. Let us know how it went.

Tekken

#3 adm1979

adm1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the Welcome :)

I tried everything you mentioned this morning.  Still stuck on the opening screen.  No lights on the USB keyboard or mouse.  The fan goes and the light on the motherboard is on and it's not beeping.

Is there anything else I could try?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

Banging on the keyboard may have resulted in a stuck key or damaged the keyboard forcing the F1, F10 message. Have you tried using a different keyboard?

#5 adm1979

adm1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

Yes, I'm currently using a different keyboard and mouse.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

Do you get any kind of error message when pressing F1?

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:52 PM

Here are some things you can try:

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware...

Since the baby was pounding on the keyboard it is also possible the keyboard was moved, pulled etc: visually inspect the usb ports for shorting/bent/damanged pins etc. Let me know if you see anything, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

You may have a memory controller issue in which case if you have 4 slots, 2 may not work. With intel it should be 2 slots next to eachother channel 1 might be slot 0,1 and channel 2 might be 2,3. Trying with 1 stick at a time in all 4 slots is the best way to test everything.

If you never get a full post (beyond splash screen (HP screen)) with just 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (trying all sticks by themselves) try removing all non essential hardware to get into bios:

Disconnect pci cards, pci-e cards - except a video card unless you have onboard in which case use the onboard video and pull the video card, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers as well. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram, power back on and listen for a post fault beep code, you will need to hook up a motherboard speaker to hear any post fault code.

While you have the computer apart, look for blown or bulging capacitors on the mainboard and video cards etc examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=bulging+or+blown+capacitors+motherboard&noj=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Iz_YU6aDLsS2yASnjoKwAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1031&bih=603 please report any caps you suspect may be bad, you can take a picture and post here if you are unsure.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:19 PM

Yes, removing the heatsink and processor and reseat again firmly is the next best step at this point as suggested.

Tekken

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

That yank on the keyboard not only klled the keyboard but possibly the connector on the MOBO (PS2 type) or the USB port connector.  Some shorts can block or inactivate USB ports.  I suspect the original port is shorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users