Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop Possible Corrupt Hard Drive or Files?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

HP laptop - Kids thought HD crashed.

After some playing with it, I got the user names and avatars up. However, when you click on one and enter a password, it stalls or you get either a black screen or a white one (depending on the user) and desktop never loads.

Any clue or know of a back door to run diagnostics or something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

For starters, you could shut down then restart while tapping the F8 key to get into Safe Mode with networking.

As Safe Mode runs a very minimilistic group of services, you'll be more empowered to attack any and all problems.

From there, you could scan for malware with free programs like Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

Or you could do a diskcheck/repair first, before scanning for malware, by opening a Command Promt with Admin rights and type in,

chkdsk /r c:

Then hit Enter, then Y for yes and Enter again, to schedule it at the next reboot.

And you could also do another command in that windows, to try to repair some Windows processes, by copying and pasting in the following,

sfc /scannow   then hit Enter

Edited by rockysosua, 29 September 2014 - 05:06 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

Hi Rockysosua,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried F8 in safe mode and then went thru those processes - repair, diskcheck, etc.  Nothing.

At first, I couldn't even get the user avatars pulled up, but after I ran the repairs, they came up.  I thought I was home free from there, but sadly, I wasn't.

I'll run through those options again just to make sure, but was hoping someone had a back door to actually know a way where we could see what wasn't working or had been corrupted.

Thanks again Rockysosua!

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

Maybe your first idea was right. It could be the hard drive.

There are several manufacturer's diagnostic programs that you can download and there may be a built in one in your model.

If you Google it with terms like "HP (your model) hard drive diagnostic", there may be instructions as to how to get at it.

Are you still unable to get in to the Desktop from a normal boot?

In other words, has there been any improvement at all?

All is well in Paradise.

#5 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:14 AM

Hi Rockysosua,

I will have to pick up work on this today when I get back home from work.  I work early hours and had to stop last night.  Will try again this afternoon and post.  Thank you!

#6 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

Okay.  Will boot up in Safe Mode, but anytime I try to right-click or double-click on any Malware or Cleaner program, the cursor just spins and spins and spins, and then, I get a pop-up window that tells me Explorer is restarting.  Endless loop...  :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users