Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS Laptop - Occasional Crashes / Boot Hangs on Splash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HungryEyes

HungryEyes

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

[Speccy Link Below]

Hello!

So, I was having problems with daily freezes on my old ASUS n80v laptop I bought in '08, so I replaced the HDD, and installed Windows 8.1.  Those issues associated with the old hard drive are gone, and the computer is a little more snappy with the fresh HDD and 8.1; good enough for a secondary college laptop.

The small problems:

Although the daily freezes have stopped, I'm experiencing a much less frequent issue where the computer seems to be sleeping (LCD back-light off), and doesn't respond to any key presses.  The quick fix is to do a hard shut down and reboot.  This does not happen every time it sleeps.

Another issue, even less common, is that the computer gets stuck at the motherboard splash screen.  This has only happened twice.

I had thought my computer was done for, but after taking the computer apart to try to find the CMOS battery on the mobo (and failing to locate it), I put the battery and the HDD back in, and it booted.  I'm still curious as to why this might have happened.

Besides the HDD, keyboard, and battery (which I believe have all been running seamlessly), all other hardware in it is the original from when I purchased the PC in 2008.

Does anybody have any ideas, or any testing software suggestions I can use to test my computer's components?  Could it be my motherboard? 

Much appreciation to anyone who can give any suggestion!

Thank you!

Speccy Link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nVD1pp3578vHEtg3NJPq0i1

Edited by HungryEyes, 29 September 2014 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

Hi HungryEyes. The most likely issue or should I say in my opinion is the unavailable drivers/software in Windows 8 (or using the windows generic drivers) for your laptop. If the problem does not exist by downgrading to the previous operating system (Windows Vista or 7) to confirm the problem, then it certainly is a software issue.

Tekken

#3 HungryEyes

HungryEyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

Hi HungryEyes. The most likely issue or should I say in my opinion is the unavailable drivers/software in Windows 8 (or using the windows generic drivers) for your laptop. If the problem does not exist by downgrading to the previous operating system (Windows Vista or 7) to confirm the problem, then it certainly is a software issue.

This makes sense to me.  Do you think that upgrading these drivers would be futile, since they are so old?  I suppose I need to work on my knowledge on how drivers work; forgive me.  Trying to use common sense, I'd imagine that if the drivers were created for the individual devices on my laptop, and being that they are from 2008 or earlier, they most likely do not have drivers upgraded for Windows 8.  Would I be correct in saying that?

Thank you for your answer.

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:01 PM

Considering that it's such an old model, even if you had the drivers, they will probably have compatibility issues with W8. I doubt you would even find the drivers on Asus' website. In reality, laptops from these companies will die off in 1 to 2 years and lose support. 

However, it is very hard to confirm if this is the actual issue, or something related to your motherboard. Considering that you had freezes before switching out the HDD, it is possible something is going wrong inside.

mYIGVc5.png

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:47 AM

Before ruling out the motherboard or hardware as the problem, it would be best to revert back to what was your original operating system installed if you have the OEM installer/recovery or retail discs. Another thing past my mind in my initial post is thermal or heating problems. By monitoring the temperature while on windows using a third party software such as HWMonitor, Speccy or SpeedFan and posting the results, we would rule out and confirm it is not part of the problem.

they most likely do not have drivers upgraded for Windows 8.  Would I be correct in saying that?

Correct, a chipset or software utility (ACPI as in this case) not available on your present Windows 8 OS but instead using the generic drivers. The laptop model has no available drivers, so some functions or features as in your case is probably one of them.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users