Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No audio output devices installed

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 weezer

weezer

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

Running Vista on an HP laptop.  Volume icon now has a red X over it and I have no sound.  I went through all the common fixes including trying to download new audio drivers all to no avail.  Any ideas anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

This is a common problem in Vista and unfortunately it is usually solved by reinstalling the OS. When you said you did all the standard steps, did you follow the steps here. Did you try a System Restore before the problem occurred?

To rule out a hardware failure you could download a small linux distro, Puppy 5.7 is good. Try playing a sound file. If you do not get sound in Puppy then I would say your internal sound card has failed. You may want to look at purchasing a USB sound dongle good for earphones only.

#3 weezer

weezer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

John,

Thanks for the fase response.  I followed  the HP support instructions and also tried a system restore with no positive results on either.  I'm not sure what I need to run the Linux Puppy 5.7 or what I have to download. Can you give me a little guidance?  If not I'll go the dongle route.

Thanks,

Weezer

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

I provided the link for Puppy. Download this version. In a Windows 7 computer right click the iso and select burn image. This will create a bootable CD. If you do not have a CD you can use a Flash drive. Download Rufus. Start the program but opt out of any update check. Select iso image in the lower dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file of Puppy you downloaded. Boot the computer with the USB flash drive attached. You may have to set USB as the first boot device. For HP I believe you can tap esc at first boot and then a menu will come up allowing you to start a Boot Menu. Select the USB flash drive in the boot menu.

When Puppy boots up you will see your hard drive in the lower left. It should be labled sda1. Click on it once and the File Manager will open. Browse to a audio file and see if it plays. If your sound is good Puppy also has a little barking sound when the desktop finishes loading.

I have to confirm but I believe the music player in Puppy is Pmusic audio player. I will post back later to verify. Edit: Pmusic player is under multimedia from the start menu. If you have a MP3 file you can double click it or right click open with Pmusic player.

Puppy Screenshot

Edit: Nothing is written to your hard drive. Puppy works in RAM and by reading the CD/USB flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 September 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#5 weezer

weezer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

John,

The" click here" for slacko link didn't work (web site is not availabIe) so I downloaded the slacko_5.7.0-pae iso program and set up a bootable CD and also a bootable usb key all on a Windows 7 pc.  The Vista pc wouldn't boot to the disk so I changed the boot order so the key would boot first, It wouldn't boot either.  Both drives flash like they want to auto start but windows keeps opening.  Is that the right file or am I doing something else wrong?.

Weezer

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

That would be the right file unless the computer is old enought where it does not support PAE. For a Non-PAE computer you could use Puppy 5.2.8 on the download page. It may be more compatible with the HP computer. Did  Puppy boot on the Windows 7 computer? For the HP computer, I believe you can tap Esc at boot with the USB attached and then press another key (F9) to get to the boot menu.

I booted Puppy and was able to play an MP3 file.

#7 weezer

weezer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

I will try to boot the windows 7 pc tomorrow and if the disk or key I made works on that I will try Puppy 5.2.8 tomorrow night on the Vista.  The HP is pretty old (6 or 7 years and running on an AMD which could be part of the problem. I didn't a problem getting to the boot menu.  The disk and key just wouldn't boot.

Thanks again for the help

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

No Problem, Puppy 5.2.8 seems to be a little bit more forgiving with older computers. If you do get Puppy to boot, it should give a Woof Woof sound when it finishes loading to the desktop. Good Luck.

#9 weezer

weezer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:01 PM

OK so I got the Puppy loaded finally.  Unfortunately the Pup doesn't bark so I guess next step is getting the dongle or a new pc.

Thanks for all your help and for generating an interest in learning more about Linux.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

To be absolutely sure about it try to play an mp3 file in puppy by double clicking the file.

#11 Tee the Wicked

Tee the Wicked

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

Posting here so I don't have to make a new topic, I'm having the same issue on my Presario F700 Laptop. Sound randomly cut out yet the drivers were fine and listed no sound issues, I ran a system restore and then this issue.

I'm currently booted into puppy, GNOME player wouldn't play any music files(stayed at 0:00 and listed as stopped)

pmusic player says my audio device isn't read or is busy. ALSA sound Wizard found no drivers. Does this mean my sound card has kicked the bucket?

Edited by Tee the Wicked, 02 October 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

It's possible or the drivers of Puppy 5.2.8 does not pick up the card. You can try a later linux distro like Puppy 5.7 Slacko or better would be Mint17 but Mint is a fairly large download.

In the Puppy menu Menu > System > System Status and Config > HardInfo does it detect the sound card?

See this for setting up the Alsa Wizard on Puppy.

#13 Tee the Wicked

Tee the Wicked

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

Thank you for the reply.

I'm in Puppy 5.7 atm. Tried the alsa wizard, adjust levels makes a white box pop up and vanish instantly. the play test sound button does nothing. Multiple Cards brings up a box that says "unable to find any sound card. Please Press Cancel"

Hardinfo, under summary, Audio Devices lists "Audio Device (null)" And nothing else.

I also forgot to mention, since this issue started, I've been getting the loud internal "beep" quite often when bringing up certain boxes(driver details in devmgr gives the beep when the box pops up) I tested and I can get that beep driver to show up in devmgr by enabling "show hidden devices" and it gives me the "stop" option like a service, which stops the beeping.

Not sure if this has anything to with my audio issue.

I downloaded Mint, but it's an .iso and I have no idea what to do with it.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

Seems the sound card is bad. The mint iso you would burn like the Puppy iso you downloaded. You can burn it using Imgburn or isoburner. When installing Imgburn opt out of any optional software and use a slow burning speed. If you want use a USB flash drive to boot you would use Rufus. See my post#4. When booting Mint say you want to run it as a Live CD if it asks. Don't install it. Go to an MP3 and see if it plays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users