Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 & A Hp Recommended Update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gearheadgirl

Gearheadgirl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hello everyone,

I am sorry if I am doing this wrong, I am new to this forum.  I have two questions and would greatly appreciate any help.  My first question is; when I am done using my computer, I always click the sleep mode and put it to sleep. I have a hp computer and 8.1 that I recently "had" to update too.  Now every once in a while and it is not all the time, I will come into my room and hit the enter button or move the mouse and it will not wake up.  when my computer is in sleep mode the tower light is yellow as well as yellow light on my monitor and then when it is awake it is blue. Anyway when this happens I always have to hold in the power button for 10 seconds and restart it which has worked. I just wanted to know why this would be doing it and is there something I can try or do?

My second question is I have a recommended update from HP and it is an Alcor micro card reader Driver it is under recommended updates as well as under the printers and accessories category. Is this something that I absolutely need? should I just go ahead and download it since HP recommends it? I don't even know what it is or what it is for.  

Thanks for any help, I am not a computer expert or anything so I learn along the way.  I appreciate any help from anyone and appreciate their time to help. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

The card reasder driver is for those SD cards from our Digicams, and some tablets use them too.

Not updating it shouldn't be an issue.

As for your sleep issue, may I suggest not hitting the sleep button, but just closing the lid instead and report back with the results?

PS: There's no need for apologies.

We enjoy meeting new people like yourself and we derive lots of pleasure, if and when we manage to resolve problems for those who need it.

Edited by rockysosua, 29 September 2014 - 02:42 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 Gearheadgirl

Gearheadgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

Rockysosua,

Thank you I appreciate your help.  I did not know if I needed to do the recommended update for the Alcor micro card reader driver, I dont have a digicam at least I don't think I do lol.   So even though HP recommends it, I don't need to do it then?  I have a desktop, I am sorry I did not say that earlier I apologize.  The sleep issue does not happen all the time and has happened once or twice before I upgraded to windows 8.1 from 8 and now today it happened again.  Is what I do, is when I am done working on my computer, I go over to the panel where it says settings then I pick power and select sleep.  It has not happened many times at all but when my computer is asleep and I move the mouse or press a key, the computer will not wake up, I have to power it off and then power it back on by the power button on the tower.  It is not that old of a computer at all and I am very careful what I do on it and very rarely download anything on it except books and stuff from college.  I am a paranoid person when it comes to the care of my computer.  I was wondering could it be something I could have done to cause it.  I have antivirus plus malwarebytes and run that all the time.

I also check files on my computer and check downloaded stuff and my task managers and so on to make sure nothing was put on my computer.   I just hope nothing is going wrong because I use this computer for college.  I don't even allow my kids on it lol.   So am I wrong for clicking sleep when I am done with the computer, should I just let it go to sleep by itself then.  I thought I was doing a good thing by putting it to sleep myself :).   I have a HP P7-1414. Desktop.   Thank you again for your help it is so appreciated and I love learning from others.  It was nice meeting you and I appreciate your time and any advise. 

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

The pleasure was all mine.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users