Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Licensing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

An acquaintance and I were discussing computer os licensing. His original Dell desktop came with Windows Home Premium. Last year he had to take it in for repair as he could not get rid of a Trojan. The repair shop installed Windows Pro 7x64 SP 1 as opposed to the original Windows Home Premium license that had the COA sticker on the tower.

My question is: Does he have a legitimate license for both OS ?

Thought I'd throw that out there for the MVP's of this forum.

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

Your friend was ripped off.

The easiest way to fix any virus infection is by wiping off the hard drive and re-install the OS which any PC owner should be able to do without having to pay any one.

The repair guy probably messed up with the PC and lost the recovery partition himself. And he probably thought that your friend wouldn't mind installing a new OS thinking that he is very ignorant about computers. If your friend paid like $200 to get it fixed, then, the license for the Win 7 Pro should be covered. But your friend should ask for software authenticity certificate.

Cheers!

Edited by badr0b0t, 29 September 2014 - 09:11 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

Many thanks for your response badr0b0t. He didn't say how much he was charged. He did say he wasn't comfortable doing a clean install. He's an older gentleman and a relative novice I suspect.

I should have mentioned that they did provide him with a Win 7 Pro disc and on the outside of the sleeve were some numbers and alpha characters which I thought might possibly be COA.

Sorry :unsure:  should have been more forthcoming.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

The simple way to determine if a valid license applies...would seemingly be to run the MGA Diagnostic Tool.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/submit-request

http://microsoft.wikia.com/wiki/Microsoft_Genuine_Advantage_Diagnostic_Tool/Validation_Code

Louis

#5 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

Many thanks for your response badr0b0t. He didn't say how much he was charged. He did say he wasn't comfortable doing a clean install. He's an older gentleman and a relative novice I suspect.

I should have mentioned that they did provide him with a Win 7 Pro disc and on the outside of the sleeve were some numbers and alpha characters which I thought might possibly be COA.

Sorry :unsure:  should have been more forthcoming.

No sorry.
No one is comfortable with OS reinstallation. Your friend may not burned his recovery discs and there was no recovery partition to recover from. So, reinstallation will be the last option. There is no more Vista available these days but Pro version may not be very cost efficient for your friend. As long as there are proper documentation, everything shld be fine.

Edited by badr0b0t, 29 September 2014 - 12:09 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#6 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

Thanks again for your input badr0b0t. And thanks to you hamluis for the links. Will pass them on.

Also am going to ask if he has OEM disc that was initially installed when purchased. If he does have both os discs then would I be correct in thinking he is legal and valid to use either one?

Regards

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

The rules governing OEM licensing are very specific.  The OS is tied to the machine.  Legally your friend can only run Windows Home Premium.  It is not legal to put a different OEM or other MS OS on this hardware.  The package your friend purchased concerning the Dell hardware running Home are to live and die together.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

Respectfully, Wand 3 is partly right, and partly wrong. Yes, an OEM OS is tied to the computer it is installed on and may not be used on another - and a major repair such as replacing the motherboard counts as a new computer. But there is nothing in MS's licensing rules to stop the owner of a computer with, say, an OEM copy of Win 7 on it from buying a retail copy of Win 8 and installing that on it as a system upgrade. Or indeed a retail copy of any other flavour of Windows.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:45 PM

No. The OS is tied to the machine. But it doesn't mean you cannot upgrade it. It means you cannot transfer it to another machine. And that's what "it dies with the machine" really means.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#10 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:17 AM

Thanks to all for taking time to respond. As always I certainly appreciate this forum.

Best Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users