Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to REFORMAT using a USB-to-SATA cable

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SparringKiat

SparringKiat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

Greetings, everyone. Erm I'm new to this site, and this is my first post.

I have a HP Compaq Desktop (sorry I couldn't provide a detailed spec of it as it was given by a relative). However, recently the desktop just died, my friend tried to deal with it and concluded that the hard disk is corrupted. Later I performed a SMART test and it shows that the hdd (western digital blue sata) for the "Short Self Test: failed". So I guess that's the end of that hdd. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, that there are still methods to revive it.

However, if it can't be helped with, I still have a sata (seagate) from another older desktop running windows Vista. That seagate should be functional and I thought maybe I can use that instead of buying a new sata to replace the WD sata. So I thought if I get a usb-to-sata cable I could do something with the seagate, like put a os into it and replace the "corrupted" WD.

Sorry for the long post and excuse me for my improper language. Helps from you guys would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!! Have a nice day!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

Short test failed usually indicates a bad drive but I would use Seatools for DOS to do a complete test. It also gives the opportunity to repair bad sectors. You may have to change AHCI to IDE mode in BIOS if Seatools does not detect the SATA drive.

Seatools for DOS tutorial

Seatools User Guide

You can use Seatools for DOS if the drive is still in the computer. If  you are using a USB adapter on another computer then use Seatools for Windows.

SeaTools for Windows User Guide

Just some clarification. Are you asking if you will be able to format the drive using the USB adapter or are you saying you have the adapter and you cannot format the drive? Is this the adpater you are talking about?

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 September 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#3 SparringKiat

SparringKiat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:58 PM

Hi! Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I didn't have the cable and wanted to get one, but before that I need to know if it can work or not. Yes that is the cable that I'm looking forward to get.

So u mean that with that software, there's a chance that it can fix the faulty sectors in the sata?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

Seatools for Dos tries to repair bad sectors but if the long test fails then I would not use the drive and if there is very important data on the drive you would need to recover the data using a professional service. I have used that same adapter I linked to and it does work well.

#5 SparringKiat

SparringKiat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

Thanks a lot, JohnC_21.

Hmm. There's actually nothing important on the hdd. I just wanted to avoid changing a new hard disk, if possible, which is quite costly.

There's a question I keep wondering, the usage of this desktop isn't heavy, I'm away studying (hence not using), my dad uses it almost daily but just to play online chinese chess, and my younger brother just uses it to surf Facebook and play some Facebook online games. They don't download movies or anything to occupy the hdd, why would the hdd spoil? Thought maybe you can clear my confusion here?

Good day to you btw~

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hard drives today are not made like they once were IMHO. They can go anytime without warning. If the computer was bumped while running it could also lead to a hard drive failure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users