Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't load Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:09 AM

I had a bad feeling about upgrading to 8.1.......so, here we go.

this morning when I fire up the laptop Windows does not load correctly. I have a screen with my wallpaper and the windows "start" at the lower left and that is all.  when I hover mouse over the start button it just spins in that familiar circle.  I have shut down/restarted a few times. one of those times I was given the option to "fix" which entails reinstalling 8.1 and then all my apps? Is there any other solution besides this one?

I will be away from this computer most of the day but if someone has ideas I can look at them later in the day.

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:17 AM

I've never seen it as you've described, but if your 8.1 isn't working properly after the upgrade and your being offered to repair it by way of it reinstalling, then that would be the ideal solution, if you ask me.

For example, you have your car engine rebuilt and it doesn't work properly, so the mechanics offer to fix it by rebuilding it again... what more could a guy ask for....

All is well in Paradise.

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

ah....and of course as soon as I post about it, the problem magically fixes itself!!!  I restarted many times over about 40 minutes or so.....

but thanks for the reply rockysosua...........

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:24 AM

Given the choice, I'll take magic over a tech, anyday.

Happy trails.

PS: Just for laughs, there's a semi rumour in the town where I live, that computers cure themselves as clients bring them in the door, as it often happens that way..

When the folks refer to me as a magician, I tell them that it's actually because computers are afraid to misbehave around me, the ole' computer ogre.

Then there's the real truth, the mere fact of being jostled around while being brought over to my shop, sometimes makes then work again.

Edited by rockysosua, 29 September 2014 - 06:29 AM.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

yep, I'll take magic over a tech too! and typically I can figure it out and when I can't, there's bleepingcomputer.com ;)

happy trails to you too!

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:02 AM

can I just say.......................I HATE WINDOWS 8.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this has happened now 3 out of the 4 mornings this week.  and after several hard shut downs and restarts it FINALLY will load.  I can't continue like this. so now I'm trying to find my malware and antivirus software that I purchased with this laptop so in the event I do have to reinstall I will be able to get those back.  guessing that also means my Office software too yes?

Can I go back to Windows 8? 

any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

('course I could just leave the stupid thing on all the time, never shut down so that this never happens again....lordy....)

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:12 AM

Let's address the fixing aspect first.

If you go into your recovery options (let me know if you don't know how to get there), you will find a "startup" option that would allow you to go into Safe Mode.

As it's a lighter "package", you should be able to easily scan for malware and/or virus'.

Regardless of which malware programs you bought, if one of them isn't Malwarebytes and the other isn't Superantispyware, then try those two as well.

Make sure you choose the free versions and do not accept any trial versions during the installation.

I'll be back shortly with answers to your other question/s.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

I've never seen 8.1 upgrades fail in any way on healthy Win 8 systems.

Most of them were new, but several were used systems, but always healthy, that is to say they had no malware or virus', nor any other types of glitches.

The point I'm making is that it is my opinion (right or wrong) that the reason your 8.1 isn't working properly is that you already had something wrong in your Win 8 system.

Regardless of why it is the way it is, the answer to your question is YES, you can go back to 8 through the recovery options, assuming that your computer is an actual Win 8 machine, in which case it will have a Win 8 OEM recovery partition,

You'd have to save all your data first and YES, you would lose all your programs and settings and be starting from scratch like the day you bought the machine.

Before taking that drastic measure, there are other things that can be done to try to repair your present system.

Please let me know when you've finished scanning for malware, and how it worked out, like did it find anything or not.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

Let's address the fixing aspect first.

If you go into your recovery options (let me know if you don't know how to get there), you will find a "startup" option that would allow you to go into Safe Mode.

As it's a lighter "package", you should be able to easily scan for malware and/or virus'.

Regardless of which malware programs you bought, if one of them isn't Malwarebytes and the other isn't Superantispyware, then try those two as well.

Make sure you choose the free versions and do not accept any trial versions during the installation.

I'll be back shortly with answers to your other question/s.

I think I press the F8 key to get into recovery options, is that right? and I was trying it this morning and forgot that it was a laptop and forgot to hold down the "fn" key along with the F8 key. I did buy the Malwarebytes program but how do I find it in safe mode to run it? and yes, I bought this machine with Windows 8.  It's been only since I upgraded to 8.1 that I've had issues.  Although I did have sound issues with Win8 that went away when I upgraded. I'd gladly take that back to not have this issue any more......

thanks for the help.

#10 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

I had a bad feeling about upgrading to 8.1.......so, here we go.

this morning when I fire up the laptop Windows does not load correctly. I have a screen with my wallpaper and the windows "start" at the lower left and that is all.  when I hover mouse over the start button it just spins in that familiar circle.  I have shut down/restarted a few times. one of those times I was given the option to "fix" which entails reinstalling 8.1 and then all my apps? Is there any other solution besides this one?

I will be away from this computer most of the day but if someone has ideas I can look at them later in the day.

thanks.

I forgot to add that there is the time, the sound and battery icons in the lower right......not that it matters. I couldn't edit my original post any more so adding it here.

I am also away from my computer right now so won't be able to run anything until later today.

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

You have to open the Charms bar, hit "Settings", then hit "PC Settings" and on the subsequent page go to "Recovery" and choose the bottom option which will boot your computer into the recovery options.

There are three pages and you want to get to the third page, so you'll have to hit Troubleshoot or Advanced Options to get there, and on the third page, there will be an option for Startup options, hit that and the computer will reboot and come to a page that offers you Safe Mode, amongst other things.

All is well in Paradise.

#12 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:29 PM

You have to open the Charms bar, hit "Settings", then hit "PC Settings" and on the subsequent page go to "Recovery" and choose the bottom option which will boot your computer into the recovery options.

There are three pages and you want to get to the third page, so you'll have to hit Troubleshoot or Advanced Options to get there, and on the third page, there will be an option for Startup options, hit that and the computer will reboot and come to a page that offers you Safe Mode, amongst other things.

okay, thanks. oh, this is assuming that Windows 8.1 loads correctly right? I think I just won't shut it down tonight.

also, how do I run Malwarebytes antimalware from there? I can't remember what safe mode looks like. or is that not what you're saying to do here?

thanks for the help. oh yea, I can't work on this tonight like I had hoped. hopefully tomorrow evening.

Edited by tobyo, 02 October 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#13 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

wait....the PC did finally boot up into Windows 8.1 (again, for the third time this week).  should I just run Malwarebytes from there?

#14 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

Yes, it will run but it is important to choose Safe Mode with Networking, then Malwarebytes will be able to update before scanning.

All is well in Paradise.

#15 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

Sure. Go for it.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users