Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2012 backup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FranciscoDiaz

FranciscoDiaz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

Hi there, I run a small trading company and I've got 2 PCs running to a central Windows file server and I want to have an offsite backup in case my office burnt down or the hard drives went out. All the work files from both computers are already synced to the server directly. I need a backup solution, storage space is not a huge problem as the files are not that large, but I don't want to be bound by a storage limit. I'm currently running two machines that use Windows 8 and the server runs Windows Server 2012. Any suggestion to back up the server, and the two computers for a total protection? Thanks a lot! :bowdown:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

Your best bet is a cloud solution.  Carbonite comes to mind but there are many others.  Google can help with that.

#3 FranciscoDiaz

FranciscoDiaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

I've heard of Carbonite. They seems to be competing head to head with Mozy before. It said $26999 per year for 250GB cloud storage from their website. Hmm... this is within my budget. How's the speed? Just googled this: http://www.geek.com/news/carbonite-loses-customer-backups-sues-promise-technology-723352/ Happened years ago and problem should have been fixed. I may give them a try. Thanks.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

We have started using Carbonite server At my company and have a few of our servers protected with it. You can setup  to backup to local drive AND cloud storage so have both. You also have options for incremental and full backup schedules. We haven't tested disaster recovery yet so I can't speak to that aspect yet.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

Ever thought about Shadow Protect to a small NAS? Could be located in your house and replicate from work to home by opening a port or create a VPN.

#6 Ugur891

Ugur891

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:02 PM

you could set up an FTP server at your house or if you have a second office with good bandwidth install it there. Then pick a good FTP backup tool to move stuff over. I would use FTPS as a bare minimum, or SFTP

#7 emailman

emailman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:51 AM

Our company has used CloudBacko for cloud backup. It is really cost effective as it only requires a one-time fee. It supports multiple cloud destinations. We are now using Google Cloud because cost is minimal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users