Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get online. Shows I'm connected. New Bitdefender install?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tempsc

tempsc

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:46 AM

Hi.

Running XP with wired connection to router which is shared with another PC (Win7) - also wired. All was going well until I bought and installed Bitdefender 2014 rather than rely on free av. PC running Win7 is fine and can access all web/email. XP machine shows I'm connected in Control Panel>Network connections but can't get online at all. Tried restoring to a time when the PC was connecting OK but PC states not able to restore to that point. Tried two others with same result. Tried accessing with Firefox which I normally use and IE - neither work. Also tried getting my emails with Outlook but still no luck. I'm guessing that I'm doing something really basically wrong but I'm not that IT savvy. Any assistance really would be appreciated. Thank you.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

Hi.

Running XP with wired connection to router which is shared with another PC (Win7) - also wired. All was going well until I bought and installed Bitdefender 2014 rather than rely on free av. PC running Win7 is fine and can access all web/email. XP machine shows I'm connected in Control Panel>Network connections but can't get online at all. Tried restoring to a time when the PC was connecting OK but PC states not able to restore to that point. Tried two others with same result. Tried accessing with Firefox which I normally use and IE - neither work. Also tried getting my emails with Outlook but still no luck. I'm guessing that I'm doing something really basically wrong but I'm not that IT savvy. Any assistance really would be appreciated. Thank you.  

Ping 8.8.8.8 - getting replies?

Ping www.google.com - getting replies?

Update us after that.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#3 tempsc

tempsc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hi and sorry for the delay in replying.

Tried both the above - with below results.

Ping 8.8.8.8

Request timed out (x3)

Packets sent = 4. Recieved  = 0 (100% loss)

Ping www.google.com

Ping request could not find host www.google.com. Pls check and try again.

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

Ping 8.8.8.8

Request timed out (x3)

Ping www.google.com

Ping request could not find host www.google.com. Pls check and tr

Ping 8.8.8.8

Request timed out (x3)

Ping www.google.com

Ping request could not find host www.google.com. Pls check and try again.

Well based on that I would say you are not getting internet. You mentioned the Bitdefender and I assume you removed that. After that check all the obvious. Do you have a static IP or dynamic? If dynamic make sure you are not getting a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP. See if you can ping your firewall, etc. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#5 tempsc

tempsc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

Yes. Checked all the obvious. I don't know how to ping a firewall and how do I know if IP address is static or dynamic? Sorry to be so dumb.

Network connections shows that Local area Connection 2 is connected, firewalled. 3Com 3C920 Integrated fast ethernet.

On clicking supprt tab of status.....

Address type: Assigned by DHCP.

IP Address 192.168.1.3

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

On clicking the repair button below,it goes through various processes but still no access to the web.

#6 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

The router/modem is your gateway. Most people have a modem then a router and depending if you go with certain ISP's it's sometimes one of the same. Either way, if you can ping your gateway which in your case is 192.168.1.1 and get replies that is good. Then if you can ping 8.8.8.8 and get replies that is good but if you can't ping www.google.com then that sounds like a DNS issue. For a quick fix i would just manually add DNS 8.8.8.8 to your IP properties and in that description that would work. 

***Note***

#7 tempsc

tempsc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:22 AM

Got it sorted thanks. Appreciate yr help.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users