Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Manager errors after a clean install feedback

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rickb2385

rickb2385

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:19 AM

Can I trouble you for your feedback on something else. Every few months I clean install the Windows operating system on my PC. Is it the same for you in that sometimes the Windows 8 setup picks up all of the devices (it usually only misses one..a Bluetooth peripheral device with a question mark. That's easily sorted by installing Wireless drivers from Dell site). Then on other occasions it'll leave the occasional exclamation mark usually listed in Other Devices but not always that disappears when the chipsets are installed. Most of the time I never get these at all but its happened a couple of times lately. Im wondering if its caused because Im installing from Windows 8 DVD and not from a factory image.

I guess really what Im asking is..Is the Windows Installation sometimes a bit hit and miss at picking up everything in Device Manager during initial setup?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

A factory image will have ALL the drivers and utilities.

A standard Win 8 DVD will install the vast majority of the drivers.

8.1 will recognize even more drivers, as MSC strives to get Windows to recognize all drivers.

As for redoing your system a few times per year, I do that too, but I use an image, not the OEM factory restore, otherwise it would take me hours to set it all up again the way I like it.

Are you familiar with the built in Windows System Iamage feature?

All is well in Paradise.

#3 rickb2385

rickb2385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

If you use Windows System Image then you'll get the same installation every time so you wont be able to answer my question I asked above on If the Windows Installation is sometimes a bit hit and miss at picking up everything in Device Manager during initial setup?

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

If you use Windows System Image then you'll get the same installation every time so you wont be able to answer my question I asked above on If the Windows Installation is sometimes a bit hit and miss at picking up everything in Device Manager during initial setup?

Actually I would.

I use System Images on my own machines, but not those of my clients.

The reason for mentioning System Images, was as a suggestion that you might do the same, then you'd save hours of work and never run into your hit an miss driver problems.

So to answer your question, no, I don't find it a hit and miss thing with a clean Windows installation, with regards to drivers, on any one given machine.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 rickb2385

rickb2385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

I don't have USB drive for backups..only use DVD's and with multiple DVD's used in a System Image I'd probably be worried in case one of the backup set became corrupted.

Yeah..On my PC ..on the last 6 installs Ive had three with a yellow exclamation mark which was cleared as soon as I installed Chipsets and on the other three installations no exclamations at all. That's why I asked if that had happened to you before. Its weird I cant understand it. It seems that when Windows Setup is getting Devices ready some drivers are missed now and again

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

The chipset handles a multitude of devices, so until you've installed it, you could get several exclamation points, perhaps, 5, 6 or 7.

At the end of the day, after installing your drivers, each installation should come out with identical results, or to put it another way, after a new installation, you should be missing the same drivers each time.

PS: If you think it would be useful to you to not spend several hours each time you redo your system, you can pick up a 1TB external portable USB3 drive for $60 and less for something smaller.

Edited by rockysosua, 29 September 2014 - 08:37 AM.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 rickb2385

rickb2385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

Yeah...I get the slight variance before I install the chipsets i.e on a clean installation before Ive done anything else...no windows updates, drivers etc. Its almost like on occasions it forgets to install one of the drivers. Last time it was called Media..under properties it said it was an internal high definition audio bus. The time before that it was a PCI express root port on the Xeon Processor under System devices.

As soon as I install the chipsets though everything is sorted...weird!!

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

If the processsor isn't very powerful, it can give mis-readings of that sort for a time, then they usually clear up after a certain amount of usage.

If on the other hand, you have an i3 or more, it shouldn't happen that way.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 rickb2385

rickb2385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

Its an i5 processor..pc has 8 meg Ram

#10 rockysosua

rockysosua